5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Races as classes

Hi, I'm new here and quite new to FG as well.
    For the fun of killing time in these times of confinement, I'm trying to adapt 3rd party product to FG using the 5e ruleset. This products uses "races as classes" for character creation. So far I've been able to create a class with all the class features, but I can't get to create class features that emulates races traits such as Size, Speed and Ability Score Increase. The only thing I managed to create is an entry in the "Abilities" tab where you can click on the corresponding feature and get to read the appropriate text entry.

I know that when creating these traits in the "create a race", you must follow an exact wording, but it seems that it doesn't apply when creating a class features.

Any idea on how to do so so it is fully automated when inserting the class on your character sheet?

i.e. Fighters gets +1 to STR or DEX and +1 to CON at 1st level, there speed is 30 and size is medium.

Also, in this 3rd party products, NPCs use Morale and Reaction. How can I add these entry when creating an NPC from scratch?

Thanks

Good Day and Welcome DanyBallon
    Check out this video, hopefully it gets you in the right direction
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw

Thanks, I've watched it many times. In fact his videos are my primary source of reference
    My problem comes from the fact that I won't be creating races and I'm trying to have the class features replicating the traits you normally get from races.
    At character creation, players will only have the options to choose between 7 classes (Fighter, Rogue, Priest, Magic User, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling). It is assumed that for the 4 first classes characters are Human, and for the later 3, their "race" set the class features they get.
    With the exception of the Speed, Size and Ability Score Increase, every thing else works just like creating a new class.

When adding races, classes and backgrounds, certain types of entries are parsed and others are not. At one point, I went through the 5e ruleset and documented which things are interpreted and which are not. Here is a post I made about them.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...preted-strings
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    I don't think you can without writing an extension to change what fields are linked to the class and race objects.

Instead I would just create matched pairs. Create a 'Fighter' race and a matched 'Fighter' Class. And have the player select both of them. That way the race can give the character racial traits and the class can give class benefits (and be used for leveling up).

As for Morale and Reaction, just create them as NPC traits/actions. You will have to do any tracking of them manually unless you want to write an extension to change 5E's fields.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I agree with LordEntrails suggestion. I experimented with the same stuff for the Mystara setting since that uses the BECMI rules and demihumans are mostly their own class (there are a few exceptions like Shadow Elf priests). You can also just drag and drop the traits you want from a race into the abilities tab of the character. It's not as elegant, but it works.

Blog Entries
    Creating the Race as a Class should work.
    Not every combination of option will work.
    If its not an option that other Classes have then it may not be automatable.

Thank you very much to all of you. I'll keep those solutions in mind, but I think I'll give a try creating an extension for this project. It may take some time, and I may come back often to ask questions on how to do some programming, I think I can manage to accomplish something not too bad in the future

Stay tuned, like they say

Quote Originally Posted by DanyBallon View Post
    Thank you very much to all of you. I'll keep those solutions in mind, but I think I'll give a try creating an extension for this project. It may take some time, and I may come back often to ask questions on how to do some programming, I think I can manage to accomplish something not too bad in the future
    What would an extension buy you over simply creating a race+class and telling the players to use them together if they use them at all? It seems like a PC with a custom-race of Hobhobbit and a custom-class of Hobhobbit is indistinguishable in every way from a race-class of Hobhobbit via an extension.

It's also worth noting, race-as-class is not a thing in D&D 5e. The system itself continues to have the concepts of race and class as distinct items pervasively baked in. From a rules perspective, separate from an FG automation perspective... if I were porting from a race-as-class system, I'd do it on paper with a matched race and class as well... with restrictions written into each that say you can only pick them together.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    What would an extension buy you over simply creating a race+class and telling the players to use them together if they use them at all? It seems like a PC with a custom-race of Hobhobbit and a custom-class of Hobhobbit is indistinguishable in every way from a race-class of Hobhobbit via an extension.

It's also worth noting, race-as-class is not a thing in D&D 5e. The system itself continues to have the concepts of race and class as distinct items pervasively baked in. From a rules perspective, separate from an FG automation perspective... if I were porting from a race-as-class system, I'd do it on paper with a matched race and class as well... with restrictions written into each that say you can only pick them together.
    In fact, it won't save any time. My goal is to try to be as close the the 3rd party products I'm porting, and killing time while learning to create content for FG.
    I might just try to automate with an extension, that when you pick a class, the race is added automatically, then the racial traits will add themselves, or if I'm stubborn enough, try to add racial traits to the class template.

Thread Information