DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Pathfinder custom class - how do I set class proficiency?

Hi All,

I’m making a custom class in a pathfinder campaign in Fantasy Grounds Unity and I can’t see where to set the weapon/Armour proficiency. In the standard classes it seems to be set as a lvl 1 class feature but copying that setup doesn’t work for me.

When I add the class to a Character the Proficiency section is blank.

Thanks in advance.

Moved to the 3.5E/Pathfinder forum. Pathfinder Society (where this was originally posted) is for the Paizo Organized Play campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You mention "copying that setup" doesn't work for you.
    How are you copying it?

Just by typing it out exactly. Is there a proper way to copy?

EDIT: disregard
    Last edited by bmos; May 24th, 2020 at 12:17.

That was my first thought and what I tried first. I tried dragging the title of the ability "which does nothing", the "i" icon which drags but does not create anything in the custom class. So what am I supposed to drag?

Info:
    I am making a Buccaneer class so I am dragging the 1st level ability "Weapon and Armour Proficiency" from Bard. I have the edit mode enabled for the class abilities under the "other" tab.

Note: I tried this again just before posting.

Blog Entries
    He's making a custom class so words are all he has. And therein lies your clue: the manager_char.lua script is looking for a few specific strings to parse in order to create those proficiency records. So for your custom class, try to duplicate the phraseology that Paizo has used in their classes.

The parser has a few variances but it isn't perfect.

See the Barbarian which combines proficiencies (weapon and armor) into a single line:
    A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).
    The Fighter also uses a single line of text, and the parser catches that with an 'All' label on the character sheet:
    A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).
    Then the Bard has multiple sentences, but the parser only looks for specifically armor and weapons:
    A bard is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. Bards are also proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields). A bard can cast bard spells while wearing light armor and use a shield without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a bard wearing medium or heavy armor incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass bard still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.
    Then look at the Cleric. The parser catches the normal weapon and armor proficiency text just fine, but doesn't know what to do with the bit about the favored weapon, so you would have to add that manually either as a separate record or just add the text to the weapon proficiency record:
    Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields). Clerics are also proficient with the favored weapon of their deity.
    So bottom line is, try as best you can to match/mimic the text Paizo used and play around with it until the parser is able to work with it.

Oh, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

Thanks, that’s kind of how I thought it was working. Perhaps I didn’t type it out as exactly as I thought. I’ll double check later.

And thanks! I’m liking the tool so far, looking forward to getting my group on it.

Right, I found the issue. I was using UK spelling for the word “Armour” in the title of the class feature. I just changed it to “Armor” as in the Bard class and now it works.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Information