Hosting Problems

Hello All,
    I am having hosting problems that is no one can connect to my FG session. I have a Netgear router. I am one of several computers tied to this router. I have a RJ-45 cable going from my router to the desktop in which FG is running. In the Router configuration page I think I have port forwarding set up right to point the port 1802 to my desktop running FG’s. But not sure. When I set up the port forwarding in the Nergear config page I put in port 1802 for the starting port and ending port number, I also put in an IP for the computer which runs FG’s and it starts with 192.168…… When I start FG it gives me a IP address of 128.207….. No one can get on which ether IP. Not sure what I am doing wrong but any help would be much appreciated.

You may also have to open the port in a software firewall if you have one. One of the IP's is probably assigned by the router, the other is assigned by the ISP. If I recall correctly the ISP assigns an IP which the router manages by assigning individual IP's to each connected PC. Sort of like the post office delivering to one address and then having someone deliver and pick up each persons mail at that address. You need to use the ISP (post office) assigned address to connect since "Sally" and "Bobby" mean nothing to an outsider. Sorry not more help, some real techies here can probably offer more detailed assistance.

Whatever IP Fantasy Grounds supports is your internal IP. Your router should be forwarding port 1802 to this internal IP.

To connect to you, you will need to give people your external IP. www.whatismyip.com will give it to you as the outside world sees you.

Now if that still doesn't work then you may have a software firewall turned on or you modem itself may have a built in firewall/NAT filter.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    Whatever IP Fantasy Grounds supports is your internal IP. Your router should be forwarding port 1802 to this internal IP.

To connect to you, you will need to give people your external IP. www.whatismyip.com will give it to you as the outside world sees you.

Now if that still doesn't work then you may have a software firewall turned on or you modem itself may have a built in firewall/NAT filter.
    Well thanks for the help, it looked like I had everything set up right, it was that I was giving out the wrong IP address thanks for the link the the whatismyip.com site. That gives the correct IP address and I was able to go another person loged into my FG session.

You are also better off in the long run to create a unique alias in the Fg software and give that to your players. Your external IP address changes frequently so the IP number you give players to connect with this week may not work for next week, but a unique alias will solve this problem.

Thread Information