STAR TREK 2d20

Dungeon Painter Studio

G'day,

All the threads I found about Dungeon Painter Studio seem to be a couple of years old and as it is still in beta in 2020 I'm just wondering about peoples experiences with the program as it exists now. It looks good for what I need it for (just maps for me, not planning on selling or sharing or anything really) but I've seen both good and bad reviews on it. I get that it isn't a big investment but I'd also like to avoid frustrating user experiences as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DK1138 View Post
    G'day,

All the threads I found about Dungeon Painter Studio seem to be a couple of years old and as it is still in beta in 2020 I'm just wondering about peoples experiences with the program as it exists now. It looks good for what I need it for (just maps for me, not planning on selling or sharing or anything really) but I've seen both good and bad reviews on it. I get that it isn't a big investment but I'd also like to avoid frustrating user experiences as well.
    It works fine. Has plenty of features. Plenty of assets available too.

Thank you! Certainly looks worth the 20 bucks then, perpetual betas can be hit or miss but I’m very glad this is more of a hit!

There is a new version coming this Summer.

I host Discord server for Dungeon Painter Studios and other mapping software. All are welcome: https://discord.gg/nVtPk3f
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

I've used it quite a bit and it works reasonably well. If you get it on Steam, the free packs from some content creators help a lot. Definitely watch the tutorial video on YouTube by the program author, as some features are non-obvious to say the least.

I have had some problems with it when you put a lot of tiles on the map. Sometimes it can't save the file, other times it can't export it. This really stinks when you put a ton of time into the map. With smaller maps, it seems really good, though, and I often use it to create combat maps for my players in FG.

You can also take a look at the new Dungeondraft software, which is a recent competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by blackclove View Post
    I've used it quite a bit and it works reasonably well. If you get it on Steam, the free packs from some content creators help a lot. Definitely watch the tutorial video on YouTube by the program author, as some features are non-obvious to say the least.

I have had some problems with it when you put a lot of tiles on the map. Sometimes it can't save the file, other times it can't export it. This really stinks when you put a ton of time into the map. With smaller maps, it seems really good, though, and I often use it to create combat maps for my players in FG.

You can also take a look at the new Dungeondraft software, which is a recent competitor.
    Wow Dungeondraft looks really good, damn the many choices out there! And looking into Dungeondraft of course brought up Wonderdraft too which looks like a must buy. I will definitely have to mull over my decision.

Dungeondraft and Wonderdraft seems like are done by the same person. One for Dungeon and other for world maps. I have CC3+ but can't find time to look at it properly... Not sure if those are good as it?

PS: I see in Steam that this Dungeon Painter is now abandonware.... no updates much and still in early-access?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Actually they just announced that there is an update coming this summer for Dungeon Painter Studio - I also have CC3+ but just cannot find the time to use it and get to know it - spent a lot of money on it but still use Dungeon Painter Studio much more often.

i'm the same with FG rule sets

Thread Information