STAR TREK 2d20
Page 10 of 13 First ... 89101112 ... Last
    Greetings bmos. Just started using this extension to help build items for a Pathfinder Adventure Path book. I could be misinterpreting a rule, or maybe it's a necessary limitation in the extension. But I'd like to check on something.

At one point in the book, players can get a +3 Defending Transformative Adamantine Longsword. Defending is a +1 Bonus special ability. Transformative isn't a + bonus, it's a flat cost of 10,000. It *is* listed in the chart for +4 or +5 abilities in Ultimate Equipment, but it is not a +4 or +5, it is a flat cost. I've looked around in Paizo forums, and it appears the consensus that RAW, a flat-cost ability does not count towards the +10 that a weapon or armor can have.

That being said, in trying to create the item, I'm getting the error "Special ability bonus is higher than +5"

Also, I think you can have special ability bonuses higher than +5, but the total Enhancement Bonus and Special Ability Bonus can't be more than +10.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeade3 View Post
    Greetings bmos. Just started using this extension to help build items for a Pathfinder Adventure Path book. I could be misinterpreting a rule, or maybe it's a necessary limitation in the extension. But I'd like to check on something.

At one point in the book, players can get a +3 Defending Transformative Adamantine Longsword. Defending is a +1 Bonus special ability. Transformative isn't a + bonus, it's a flat cost of 10,000. It *is* listed in the chart for +4 or +5 abilities in Ultimate Equipment, but it is not a +4 or +5, it is a flat cost. I've looked around in Paizo forums, and it appears the consensus that RAW, a flat-cost ability does not count towards the +10 that a weapon or armor can have.

That being said, in trying to create the item, I'm getting the error "Special ability bonus is higher than +5"

Also, I think you can have special ability bonuses higher than +5, but the total Enhancement Bonus and Special Ability Bonus can't be more than +10.
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I am pushing a fix for Transformative now and will look into the 5/10 limit later.

EDIT: There is already a total limit of 10 and a ability limit of 5. Should the ability limit be 9 or 5?
    Last edited by bmos; November 16th, 2022 at 00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    EDIT: There is already a total limit of 10 and a ability limit of 5. Should the ability limit be 9 or 5?
    Maybe 9, as you have to at least have a +1 weapon before you add abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    I am pushing a fix for Transformative now and will look into the 5/10 limit later.
    Thanks for the updates bmos!

Might be related to recent changes, but I've noticed that when attempting to create an Adamantine longsword, or masterwork longsword, I get the error that "Items with special abilities must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus." I'm not adding any special abilities. Just a material or Masterwork.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeade3 View Post
    Might be related to recent changes, but I've noticed that when attempting to create an Adamantine longsword, or masterwork longsword, I get the error that "Items with special abilities must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus." I'm not adding any special abilities. Just a material or Masterwork.
    Ah, I'll fix that. Thanks again.

Hello, I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am making some mistake here, but I think the custom item generator may be miscalculating the price of some generated items (specifically those using special materials). Earlier today I attempted to generate a mithril breastplate. If I am not mistaken, the price should come out to 4200 GP (200 for breastplate, and 4000 for mithril used to make medium armor). However, the price shown on the generated item comes up as 15200 gp. I think this calculation might be based off of the price per pound for "other items." I decided to check other combinations in a new campaign with no other extensions. Most generated items seem to be fine (+1, flaming, etc). However special materials appear to have some issues. From what I can tell, sometimes the price is calculated by weight when it should not be, or the masterwork cost appears to be factored in even that doesn't need to be the case. Some of the calculations appear to be just wrong (see the gold greataxe in the accompanying picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Navigat0r View Post
    Hello, I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am making some mistake here, but I think the custom item generator may be miscalculating the price of some generated items (specifically those using special materials). Earlier today I attempted to generate a mithril breastplate. If I am not mistaken, the price should come out to 4200 GP (200 for breastplate, and 4000 for mithril used to make medium armor). However, the price shown on the generated item comes up as 15200 gp. I think this calculation might be based off of the price per pound for "other items." I decided to check other combinations in a new campaign with no other extensions. Most generated items seem to be fine (+1, flaming, etc). However special materials appear to have some issues. From what I can tell, sometimes the price is calculated by weight when it should not be, or the masterwork cost appears to be factored in even that doesn't need to be the case. Some of the calculations appear to be just wrong (see the gold greataxe in the accompanying picture).
    Found the issue. There was a typo keeping subtype from being detected. I have pushed v1.13

The mithral breastplate issue appears to be resolved. However, several other materials still seem to come up with odd prices. I did not test every single material but there appear to be some patterns. The first pattern is where there is a +x price for y item type price structure such as alchemical silver, blood crystal and bone. For example, a living steel greataxe (20 gp for greataxe, 500 gp for living steel weapon) results in a price of 820 gp. I am not sure if living steel weapons must also be masterwork and thus increase in price by 300 or not. This extra 300 also shows up for other materials in the same category. Aside from the extra 300, the price calculations appear to be correct. The next category is materials such as obsidian, stone, and gold that have a set fraction or multiple of weapon base price. These also seem to be a bit off, some by exactly 300 and some in a less predictable fashion. For example, a throwing axe (8 gp) made of stone (1/4 price) ends up coming out as 300.375 gp or gold battleaxe (10 gp x 10) becomes 400 gp. The last two I tested involved special materials that have different formulas based off the masterwork version of the item (darkwood and dragonhide). Both materials end up not factoring in the original item price in the final price - so a darkwood spear (10 gp/lb x 6 lbs + 300 gp masterwork cost + 2 gp original price) should be 362 gp but shows up as 360. I checked both of these against premade items using these materials that appear in the CRB/ultimate equipment with prices. Items that are "invalid" combinations all show up as 300 gp from what I can tell.

On a seperate note, dragonhide and darkwood both throw error messages when making the item. I thought this might be because I was creating "invalid" combinations but they show up even when making items that shouldn't violate the rules about darkwood not being used for metal items and so on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Navigat0r; January 19th, 2023 at 15:37. Reason: attached picture

Quote Originally Posted by Navigat0r View Post
    The mithral breastplate issue appears to be resolved. However, several other materials still seem to come up with odd prices. I did not test every single material but there appear to be some patterns. The first pattern is where there is a +x price for y item type price structure such as alchemical silver, blood crystal and bone. For example, a living steel greataxe (20 gp for greataxe, 500 gp for living steel weapon) results in a price of 820 gp. I am not sure if living steel weapons must also be masterwork and thus increase in price by 300 or not. This extra 300 also shows up for other materials in the same category. Aside from the extra 300, the price calculations appear to be correct. The next category is materials such as obsidian, stone, and gold that have a set fraction or multiple of weapon base price. These also seem to be a bit off, some by exactly 300 and some in a less predictable fashion. For example, a throwing axe (8 gp) made of stone (1/4 price) ends up coming out as 300.375 gp or gold battleaxe (10 gp x 10) becomes 400 gp. The last two I tested involved special materials that have different formulas based off the masterwork version of the item (darkwood and dragonhide). Both materials end up not factoring in the original item price in the final price - so a darkwood spear (10 gp/lb x 6 lbs + 300 gp masterwork cost + 2 gp original price) should be 362 gp but shows up as 360. I checked both of these against premade items using these materials that appear in the CRB/ultimate equipment with prices. Items that are "invalid" combinations all show up as 300 gp from what I can tell.

On a seperate note, dragonhide and darkwood both throw error messages when making the item. I thought this might be because I was creating "invalid" combinations but they show up even when making items that shouldn't violate the rules about darkwood not being used for metal items and so on.
    Pushed some fixes. I'm sure there are more issues, but I found quite a few. Mostly around cost calculation and adding material description+source text.
    More to come.
    Last edited by bmos; January 21st, 2023 at 13:37.

Thread Information