DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Grouped NPCs

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! That'll make things easier. This forum is golden!

Yeah, grouping PCs can be done for a couple of reasons, main I have run into is usually when in vehicles as they will act together.

Another is if the party has split and are in different areas but not in combat. Usually deal initiative to keep things orderly
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Wow, thanks for that Ikael. I had no idea this was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    Wow, thanks for that Ikael. I had no idea this was possible.
    To save some time when populating an encounter to the combat tracker - I'd love to be able to do the _opposite_. If I have NPCs of different types (say three groups of three orcs, each with an orc commander), I'd like the option of grouping the different types together ahead of time in the encounter. Instead, what you have to do because of the different types, is populate the encounter to the CT, then move the NPCs around using the "Group" drop target. It's not a big deal, but for large combats with a lot of NPCs participating, it's a bit clunky to have to pause the game session while you get everything setup.

For that matter, it'd also be nice to be able to apply _effects_ to NPCs ahead of time. Say for instance one orc group is staring behind a wall and in cover. As I've found so far, I have to make a note to apply that effect after the CT is populated - I can't set it up ahead of time in the Encounter data.

thx for this information!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    Skip Lavoiejh, he was talking about 5e which works differently than Savage Worlds.

When you create an encounter you can change how many NPCs there are by simply changing the number. However when dropped into the combat tracker. Each entry in the encounter will have all those NPCs as 1 group. To break them up when using an encounter, simply create multiple entries and they will be dropped as different groups.

Attachment 35247
    Attachment 35248

Now, once they are in the Combat tracker, you can move them around, but this is a little bit messier though might be info you need. Since I am unsure of how familiar you are with FG, I will be thorough so please don;'t be offended since I will be explaining on a basic level.

Attachment 35249 This is the drag and drop icon. Anywhere you see it you can open the linked asset or drag it to drop it in any multitude of places.

Attachment 35250 This is the GROUP icon in the combat tracker.

You can move NPCs and PCs into and out of groups. You can select a specific NPC/PC and drop them into a group OR another group by clicking the Drag Icon and dropping it on the Group Icon for a specific group.
    You can remove NPC/PCs from groups, so long as not the Leader (first entry not indented) by grabbing the Drag Icon and dropping it anywhere elsewhere in the combat tracker except a Group Icon.

Attachment 35251

This is of course a bit more work but good for if things change during combat, it also allows you to add followers, friendly NPCs, and pets that are controlled by a PC and lets them act on same turn as their controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    If you have pre-made encounter where NPCs are grouped together but want each to be individual in CT, you can use following trick: Hold down ALT when clicking Encounter's button. This will ungroup all grouped NPCs into individual when they are added to CT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    Yeah, grouping PCs can be done for a couple of reasons, main I have run into is usually when in vehicles as they will act together.

Another is if the party has split and are in different areas but not in combat. Usually deal initiative to keep things orderly
    group icon is apparently gone now, hitting the edit list brings up an ungroup item, but I don't see how you can group PCs together, as you were referring to... also, took me a bit, but to group PCs, drag the drag icon to another players init card (a very subtle red frame appears, which I missed repeatedly. anyway - thanks for all the info and ideas..
    Last edited by macDsinfo; October 17th, 2021 at 18:09.

Thread Information