STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Grouped NPCs

Grouped NPCs

Hello! I am not sure if this is an issue of "Savage Worlds" or FG in general or Unity, but I decided to post it here. When I send an Encounter to the Combat Tracker, all similar NPCs are in one single group that's dealt one Initiative Card. This can be helpful in some situations, for me it's not how I want to run things, I want players and NPCs to alternate, not have all players do their things and then all NPCs. How can I deactivate this automatic grouping? Or at least drag NPCs out of the group after I added the encounter to the CT? I am playing "War of the Dead" and players could encounter 20+ Zombies and I really don't want all of them to act on the same Initiative Card.

In 5E there is an option "Add: Auto NPC initiative", which when set to Group has this effect. I assume Savage Worlds has the same option you can turn off, but I don't use that ruleset so I'm not sure.

edit: looks like this is not applicable in SW. Sorry it wasn't relevant for you.
    Last edited by Neovirtus; May 12th, 2020 at 17:48.

Blog Entries
    MOD: Moved to Savage World forum for better visibility.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I experienced this from the opposite direction and figured it out. I had 4 orcs in an encounter and wondered why they WEREN'T grouped automatically when I moved them to the combat tracker.

In my case I needed to rebuild my encounter by dragging a single Orc to the encounter, then choosing "4" in the # box that seemed like it was tied to an identifier because I'm new to FG. When moved from the Encounter to the Combat Tracker each of the entries * # will be grouped. So in your case if you wanted 5 groups of 4, you would drag 5 zombies and put 4 in the # field. Then when you add the encounter to the CT it will have them in 5 groups of 4 each.

I don't see that option in Savage Worlds, can someone familiar with SW in Fantasy Grounds confirm that I'm not blind?

Quote Originally Posted by fubeca150 View Post
    I experienced this from the opposite direction and figured it out. I had 4 orcs in an encounter and wondered why they WEREN'T grouped automatically when I moved them to the combat tracker.

In my case I needed to rebuild my encounter by dragging a single Orc to the encounter, then choosing "4" in the # box that seemed like it was tied to an identifier because I'm new to FG. When moved from the Encounter to the Combat Tracker each of the entries * # will be grouped. So in your case if you wanted 5 groups of 4, you would drag 5 zombies and put 4 in the # field. Then when you add the encounter to the CT it will have them in 5 groups of 4 each.
    Ah, OK, gotta try that. It's gonna be quite a bit of work, but ok, War of the Dead is kind of poorly integrated anyway, so I'll have to redo the whole thing anyway, I guess.

First create an encounter

1) Drag NPC to encounter
    2) The top line shows the NPC icon, an empty box (in the # column which isn't immediately obvious as to what it is), and the name of the NPC. If you put a number in the box then it will put placement tokens on the next line, one for each NPC.
    3) Use the placement tokens to put the NPC onto your battle map.

I'm using FGU. I don't have FGC so I can't say what it looks like there.

Here's an image with the flow because I found that the text entry box wasn't obvious to me when I started setting up the encounter (I'm pretty new to Fantasy Grounds).

Encounter_Add.png
    Last edited by fubeca150; May 12th, 2020 at 17:32.

Skip Lavoiejh, he was talking about 5e which works differently than Savage Worlds.

When you create an encounter you can change how many NPCs there are by simply changing the number. However when dropped into the combat tracker. Each entry in the encounter will have all those NPCs as 1 group. To break them up when using an encounter, simply create multiple entries and they will be dropped as different groups.

SWADE enc.png
    Swade Combat tracker.png

Now, once they are in the Combat tracker, you can move them around, but this is a little bit messier though might be info you need. Since I am unsure of how familiar you are with FG, I will be thorough so please don;'t be offended since I will be explaining on a basic level.

Drag icon.png This is the drag and drop icon. Anywhere you see it you can open the linked asset or drag it to drop it in any multitude of places.

Group Icon.png This is the GROUP icon in the combat tracker.

You can move NPCs and PCs into and out of groups. You can select a specific NPC/PC and drop them into a group OR another group by clicking the Drag Icon and dropping it on the Group Icon for a specific group.
    You can remove NPC/PCs from groups, so long as not the Leader (first entry not indented) by grabbing the Drag Icon and dropping it anywhere elsewhere in the combat tracker except a Group Icon.

altered tracker.png

This is of course a bit more work but good for if things change during combat, it also allows you to add followers, friendly NPCs, and pets that are controlled by a PC and lets them act on same turn as their controller.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by diskdusk View Post
    Hello! I am not sure if this is an issue of "Savage Worlds" or FG in general or Unity, but I decided to post it here. When I send an Encounter to the Combat Tracker, all similar NPCs are in one single group that's dealt one Initiative Card. This can be helpful in some situations, for me it's not how I want to run things, I want players and NPCs to alternate, not have all players do their things and then all NPCs. How can I deactivate this automatic grouping? Or at least drag NPCs out of the group after I added the encounter to the CT? I am playing "War of the Dead" and players could encounter 20+ Zombies and I really don't want all of them to act on the same Initiative Card.
    If you have pre-made encounter where NPCs are grouped together but want each to be individual in CT, you can use following trick: Hold down ALT when clicking Encounter's button. This will ungroup all grouped NPCs into individual when they are added to CT.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    You can move NPCs and PCs into and out of groups. You can select a specific NPC/PC and drop them into a group OR another group by clicking the Drag Icon and dropping it on the Group Icon for a specific group.
    You can remove NPC/PCs from groups, so long as not the Leader (first entry not indented) by grabbing the Drag Icon and dropping it anywhere elsewhere in the combat tracker except a Group Icon.

This is of course a bit more work but good for if things change during combat, it also allows you to add followers, friendly NPCs, and pets that are controlled by a PC and lets them act on same turn as their controller.
    That's a lot more than I'd been able to figure out so far. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't even thought about grouping stuff with players in the CT (I didn't know you could group or ungroup once it's in the CT).

Thread Information