STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

SWADE and SW Deluxe Modules

Do modules for the two different versions of the game play nicely together? If I buy the Adventure Card deck (made for Deluxe Edition), will it work with SWADE?

I second this question. The store entries for SW products don't make it very clear if they're compatible. Are modules like the companion books SWADE compatible? Do we maybe get different downloads of the product depending on what version of SW we own? If something like that is in play, is it so for all of the SW add ons, so we can buy them confidently knowing that they'll work?

Quote Originally Posted by DMDaddy0 View Post
    Do modules for the two different versions of the game play nicely together? If I buy the Adventure Card deck (made for Deluxe Edition), will it work with SWADE?
    I have got the adventure deck. It comes with two modules. One of them is the SWADE deck.

Capture.PNG

The other module is the original and can be used for the older delux rules when they are loaded.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; May 12th, 2020 at 08:04.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by etherio View Post
    I second this question. The store entries for SW products don't make it very clear if they're compatible. Are modules like the companion books SWADE compatible? Do we maybe get different downloads of the product depending on what version of SW we own? If something like that is in play, is it so for all of the SW add ons, so we can buy them confidently knowing that they'll work?
    It is a good question. There could be a bit more done to explain some products in the store. Here is my experince of the subject. YMMV.

They will load but you get the exact same text as in the original printed book. So although they work there is no automatic rules update. For example an adventure for Delux will work in SWADE. However you will see things like charisma modifiers which are not used in SWADE. If Pinnacle Entertainment does an update of the paper companion books. The module author usally also jumps in and follows along.

In the case of the advenure deck. I got mine for Delux and now it has a SWADE version added. This an example of an free update.

Another example where there is no update is Winter Eternal. It loads into SWADE. However as far as I know there never been any conversion notes printed for the paper books and therefore there no updates in FG. Although all the material works and just needs a bit of a manual tweak using the generic advice from Pinnacle. So those modules work under SWADE but expect some minor editing tasks during game prep.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

I would agree similar to Lonewolf based on my experience. That said, I would note that some of the settings have been updated to have both a SWADE and SWD version, such as Doswellk's work on 50 Fathoms' Player Guide.

The short answer is yes, older settings will load/work with SWADE, but in most cases, just as you would have to do IRL at the table, you will need make changes yourself. See Talyn's post #5 in this recent thread on the same subject.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sed-with-SWADE

I do wish there was a nice Logo on the store to show which have been actively converted/updated.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

Quote Originally Posted by i3ullseye View Post
    I do wish there was a nice Logo on the store to show which have been actively converted/updated.
    I have had the same desire since I am new to both FG and to Savage Worlds and don't know enough about either to know if something isn't updated.

On the adventure deck compatibility, it took me a while to figure out that the reason that a new default SWADE + Adventure Deck lets me choose Rippers cards to be included, but SWADE + Adventure Deck + Rippers Reloaded does not and does not include them is because Rippers Reloaded doesn't have any custom adventure cards (while the base Rippers does).

The problem, as far as I know, is you can't have the modules switch between Deluxe stats and Adventure stats. So, for example, if you delete "throwing" and up or add in "athletics" for SWADE, then it stops working in Deluxe. You can add or up "Athletics" so that it works with both as far as skills go, but then you have everything else; edges, hindrances, race stuff, etc.

Some edges have been negated or have a different effect, like Charisma, which used to be its own stat but is now a reroll or negative modifier for Persuasion. However, if you make it a negative modifier for SWADE, then it will be doubled in Deluxe cause the automation will add a penalty for Charisma and then for hard coded effect on Persuasion.

Currently, you would need a module for Deluxe and then a different one for SWADE. So you can see where it gets messy. Best solution would probably ask FG to put notes in content description to say has been adjusted to work with SWADE.

Unfortunately, fixing modules is a time consuming process, cause if we update them you also need to update them for the Ruleset version as well, and there is always more work than workers. I just spent better part of a month updating the Super Powers Companion 2 Ed. All I was really doing was redoing NPCs and Modifying power objects to match new Ruleset stuff.

Deadlands is getting a new SWADE update coming out in Nov, so there isn't much reason to update the current version now, when they are probably going to be working on that now or soon, so it can be released ASAP after the kickstarter stuff is released.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    The problem, as far as I know, is you can't have the modules switch between Deluxe stats and Adventure stats. So, for example, if you delete "throwing" and up or add in "athletics" for SWADE, then it stops working in Deluxe. You can add or up "Athletics" so that it works with both as far as skills go, but then you have everything else; edges, hindrances, race stuff, etc.

Some edges have been negated or have a different effect, like Charisma, which used to be its own stat but is now a reroll or negative modifier for Persuasion. However, if you make it a negative modifier for SWADE, then it will be doubled in Deluxe cause the automation will add a penalty for Charisma and then for hard coded effect on Persuasion.

Currently, you would need a module for Deluxe and then a different one for SWADE. So you can see where it gets messy. Best solution would probably ask FG to put notes in content description to say has been adjusted to work with SWADE.

Unfortunately, fixing modules is a time consuming process, cause if we update them you also need to update them for the Ruleset version as well, and there is always more work than workers. I just spent better part of a month updating the Super Powers Companion 2 Ed. All I was really doing was redoing NPCs and Modifying power objects to match new Ruleset stuff.

Deadlands is getting a new SWADE update coming out in Nov, so there isn't much reason to update the current version now, when they are probably going to be working on that now or soon, so it can be released ASAP after the kickstarter stuff is released.
    Do you know which companions have swade versions?

Thread Information