STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Character Creation Issues

Right now, there doesn't seem to be any rules/structure creating a character. It doesn't limit you to the 5 attribute points and 12 skill points when creating a new character. It should handle it the way savaged.us does where it gives you an alert when you over allocate and the proper way to do it would be to add an advancement and use that to add additional points.

Also I am able to add any edge I want without having the requirements. When I add attractive, it counts as 1 edge on the character summary. And then when I add very attractive, it replaces attractive on the sheet but then the character summary still shows I have only used/have 1 edge. And then I'm able to add attractive back on to show both attractive and very attractive and now shows 2 edges. I can add any edge regardless of my rank or if my attribute die is too low.

IMO, There really needs to be improvements on character creation rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Alancorp View Post
    Right now, there doesn't seem to be any rules/structure creating a character. It doesn't limit you to the 5 attribute points and 12 skill points when creating a new character. It should handle it the way savaged.us does where it gives you an alert when you over allocate and the proper way to do it would be to add an advancement and use that to add additional points.
    IMO, There really needs to be improvements on character creation rules.
    Why?

If you have a piece of paper as your character sheet that does not check you character is valid, Fantasy Grounds is not a character creation program, if you want that use Hero Labs or Savaged.US

Fantasy Grounds is a Virtual Table Top, how do you make it validate every one of the hundreds of roleplay systems out there? In that fact how do you make it support the various Setting Rules that already contradict your issues. I run a game where PCs get 6 attribute points and 15 skill points when creating a character.

The development team is small and I'd rather they focus on mkaing FGU/FGC the best VTT out there (not hard as in my biased opinion it already is), if you want to create valid characters then use software to do just that.

What we really need is a way to import PCs from Savaged.us to FGU/FGC
    Last edited by Doswelk; May 10th, 2020 at 11:08.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    Actually we do have that (unofficially) since that's what the NPC Maker extension can do. You just copy and paste the stat block from there (or any source that can show you a stat block, like Hero Lab) and you've got an NPC. Then drag that NPC over to the PC window and, viola, you've got a PC! They usually need some clean-up but at least once they are in, they're in. That being said having all of that available directly in FG would be nice but we'd need to have a way to easily pull in fan-made extensions to cover all of the settings and/or house rules so it would, no doubt, be a LOT of work set up in FG, and in that sense I would agree it probably shouldn't be a priority.
    Last edited by zarlor; May 10th, 2020 at 16:52.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    Why?

If you have a piece of paper as your character sheet that does not check you character is valid, Fantasy Grounds is not a character creation program, if you want that use Hero Labs or Savaged.US

Fantasy Grounds is a Virtual Table Top, how do you make it validate every one of the hundreds of roleplay systems out there? In that fact how do you make it support the various Setting Rules that already contradict your issues. I run a game where PCs get 6 attribute points and 15 skill points when creating a character.

The development team is small and I'd rather they focus on mkaing FGU/FGC the best VTT out there (not hard as in my biased opinion it already is), if you want to create valid characters then use software to do just that.

Well, I guess I consider the Savage Worlds Ruleset module is a "ruleset" and character creation is a major part of the ruleset. And fantasy grounds does give you the functionality to create a character, so to me it is a character creation program. I see plenty of tutorials online for creating characters for Fantasy Grounds (mostly for D&D 5e) so it's an important component of the program. As for custom starting traits, I like the way savaged.us does it where it will allow you to add how many attribute and skill points you want but it keeps track of it and gives you a warning that is over allocated. And it gives you the proper way to do it by going to advancements and adding the extra points that way. For those that want to override the rules for custom settings, I would have an option in the settings to turn that off if they wish. And if it is a setting rule that is official and purchased thru FantasyGrounds then I would assume when you load that module, it would implement whatever the starting skill and attribute points should be for that setting.

I understand resources are limited and you have to pick and choose what you spend your time on. But, I think it would be very useful functionality for the program, especially for beginners of the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Also wanted to comment on this quote:
    "If you have a piece of paper as your character sheet that does not check you character is valid, " That is true. Also when you roll real dice, the dice doesn't check what modifiers should be applied or what edges you have. But fantasy grounds does that for you. It's a tool to make our lives easier by keeping track of things and automatically implementing rules. I think the tool can definitely handle character creation rules but I understand it is probably low on the priority list.
    Last edited by Alancorp; May 10th, 2020 at 16:30.

Yes...it does do a lot for us automagically so when it doesn't it can be jarring. I've only been using it since March 17th and generally have found when it doesn't do something it's because there's a level of decision making that can't be done without a lot of work and resources. The Rock n Roll edge is one example...it needs to know if you moved or not and while I guess you could tie it to token movement on the grid but that would require a lot of code that doesn't exist and then it can't know that you were going to shoot and then move.

While enforcing character creation isn't as complex there's still settings that aren't standard so it's left for the GM to verify.

Alancorp just in case you dont know about this there is some logic in the current version.

On the Character sheets go to the Traits tab, in the Advances pane there is a + press it and a mini window displays some stats.

The skills add up to 17, but thats fine as 5+ 12 you can enter is 17.

Hope that helps.

But it could be 20 in settings like Rifts...good to know about that though...didn't know

IceBear you probably realised it gives a running a total, it also does Hindrances of a fashion.

No...didn't even know that feature was there. But yeah looks like a quick way to validate. Nice tip

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Yes...it does do a lot for us automagically so when it doesn't it can be jarring.
    I think that's the issue for me but the other way around, I have been using FG since 2005 and Savage Worlds since 2007 there was no automation (other than dice acing and wild dice) back then, Ikael spoils you...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information