5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Espiem View Post
    If the cloud hosting is down, couldn't you still use the port forwarding option to run your game in FGU? From what I've seen in intro videos it sounds like FGU still has that option, cloud hosting was just included in addition to port forwarding for convenience. Am I misunderstanding?
    You are correct. Just chose the "LAN" option as the host when you start your campaign. Note you can switch back and forth each time you start.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would like to add that I have had FGC for over a year and a friend of mine just got FGU with starfinder. I have been helping him navigate it because they are very similar in ways. A subscription for a couple months to FGC will give you and your players a great feel and knowledge of the program then when FGU is ready and stable just transfer your campaign over learn the new stuff they added and keep gaming.

FG is a great program and it would be a shame if you or your players got a bad taste in your mouth with FGU still in beta.

I do have another question and sorry for the many questions. If I purchase the FGC total subscription @ $9.99 per month and want to upgrade to purchasing the full package, am I able to do that or do I have to do 1 or the other....Just want to make sure that I understand the platform before investing the full amount of $140 first and paying the monthly subscription seems the way to go to try it out with all of the bells and whistles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCBoy36 View Post
    I do have another question and sorry for the many questions. If I purchase the FGC total subscription @ $9.99 per month and want to upgrade to purchasing the full package, am I able to do that or do I have to do 1 or the other....Just want to make sure that I understand the platform before investing the full amount of $140 first and paying the monthly subscription seems the way to go to try it out with all of the bells and whistles.
    If you purchase the FGC Ultimate subscription it does not prevent you from purchasing a One-Time license (of any type) whenever you want. But, you will not get a credit for the months you have paid the subscription and you will not get a discount on any type of future license purchase.

So, you can get a subscription and then later buy the one-time license, but the money you paid for the subscription is spent, and the price of the one-time license will be whatever the standard price is at that time.

If you just want to be sure that if something doesn't work out, you can buy a one-time license from the FG Store and you will then have 30 days to ask for a full refund, no questions asked.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You are correct. Just chose the "LAN" option as the host when you start your campaign. Note you can switch back and forth each time you start.
    Just to help anyone do that on FGU and avoid my mistake. FGU needs UDP 1802 forwarded for the direct connection. I had configured the portforward as TCP only initially and it took a while for the penny to drop why it worked for FGC and not FGU. Now working fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Espiem View Post
    Hello all, I've recently decided to make the plunge into VTT D&D 5E, and have settled on FG as a platform. I'm currently struggling between whether to go with FGU or FGC. I've dug around a bit on the forums here, and it seems that most people are still suggesting using FGC on a monthly basis and upgrading to FGU when it becomes more stable. Ideally, I'd like to purchase a one time ultimate license right now though, and save myself a few months of sub costs, but don't really see the point in purchasing a one time FGC license if I'm eventually going to just upgrade to FGU anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how FGU compares with FGC currently, and what specifically are the issues I'm likely to run into with FGU that FGC does not suffer from?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have no basis with FGC so take that into account.

As a fairly new customer and with a group of players new to VTT's in general.

I chose FGU so that the players will learn the newer system. Because none of us have anything to compare too the so far minor issues around the Beta have not impacted us.

In fact since all of my players have played MMOs we are all pretty used to the vagaries of software choosing to not work today. So that may be an advantage my group has. Everyone saying your ability to live with issues may be a deciding factor are correct.

And everyone is saying that FGU will work the same as FGC but I have already ran into issues where some things built for FGC don't work in FGU. This enforces my choice to go with the new platform.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Thread Information