STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

I mean, I'm happy with the size as is right now, that's not really the issue - I chose 18 based on trial and error to get it to the size where I liked it. But it's still blurry, and I just measured on that screenshot that the text in FGU is 14px tall, so that doesnt' seem to be the problem, or at least not the whole problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LillySprout View Post
    It seems like part of the issue is that the font is being downscaled somewhere in the rendering image, even at scaleui 100. As an example, my group is using our own custom font extension, using Fira Sans font at 18 pts for chat messages. However, as you can see in the below screenshot, the font as actually rendered is slightly fuzzy, which seems to be due to the fact that it's actually rendering as significantly smaller than 18 pt. Is this intended behavior (That some sort of universal scaling is applied outside of scaleui such that text is downsized from it's stated pt size?)

Attachment 36846

Edit: To make sure it's clear:
    Windows UI scaling is at 100% (default)
    FG scaleui is at 100
    My resolution is 2560x1440 (though all members of my group are experiencing the same issue)
    The font is set to 18 pt Fira Sans Regular, the same font being previewed on the right in that screenshot. Exact xml snippit is
    <font name="chatfont">
    <ttf name="Fira Sans" size="18" file="graphics/fonts/FiraSans-Regular.ttf"/>
    <color value="#261A10"/>
    </font>
    Fantasy Grounds measures fonts in pixels from the ascender of the text to the ascender of text in the following line, i.e. pixel size including the line-gap. Using Fira Sans at size 18, I am not able to reproduce this result at UI scale of 100. Can you attach your console.log?firasans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Fantasy Grounds measures fonts in pixels from the ascender of the text to the ascender of text in the following line, i.e. pixel size including the line-gap.
    That's a bit odd, but alright... So I'm assuming that means that the line height is an absolutely fixed value throughout Fantasy Grounds? Is that value documented/sharable somewhere, so that we can convert between fantasy grounds font size and a more normal px value? Come to think of it, how does FG do this, I'm assuming it applies some sort of modifier to the font size, ie, 18 size font actually becomes 14 px with a 1.3-ish line height or something? I've never encountered a program measuring font size by full line height before.

As requested, attaching my logs below
    Attached Files Attached Files

The line height is fully controlled by the ruleset code; but the default that most rulesets use is 20 pixels per text line.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The line height is fully controlled by the ruleset code; but the default that most rulesets use is 20 pixels per text line.
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Fantasy Grounds measures fonts in pixels from the ascender of the text to the ascender of text in the following line, i.e. pixel size including the line-gap.
    It seems like these can't both be correct?

Yes. The height specified in the font definition is used to specify the full line height (measured as pindercarl replied).

Regards,
    JPG

Hi
    any updates on this issue. I use a Macbook Pro. I have started DM a campaign and when I try a different scale than 100 it just blurry. not to much. but enough to get you a small headache

Sorry for being so frank and blunt, but the whole Unity UI is an abomination of (bilinear) bitmap upscaling and gray-scale anti-aliasing blurriness. Text ought to be upscaled as text fonts, not as scaled graphics. Modern anti-aliasing ought to use Cleartype/sub-pixel kind of smoothing, not greyscales.

I suspect that part of the problem is Unity using OpenGL? At least with Microsoft Word using OpenGL leads to anti-aliasing switching to being gray-scale based.

All that being said, it got better compared to when I first took a look at it a few months ago.

Here I solved the blur problem turning off all the antialiasing and anisotropic of the video card, in some cases the vertical sync need to be off too.

Thread Information