DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: MGT2 Trade

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Having spoken with Matt on many occasions, one of my comments to him has always been 'what can I convert for 1E as I feel a lot of it is still very useful to 2E players' and I get the stock answer "Nothing it's all going to be updated".

The truth of the matter is that the time (layout, new art, rules updates, etc) it takes to update something that needs nothing more than tweaking is very costly, and if the 1E book works so well, there's less 'need' to do it, because sales would probably be low.

I've got Book 7, Merchant Prince, it's a very hard read and it's pehaps one of the reasons I've steered clear of heavy merchant interest (beyond Freight/Passengers) in my games. We work far too much with spreadsheets at work, I don't want to do it in my hobby time!

So what do you folks think to the proposed ideas for Trade in v1.1.1.?

Cheers,
    MBM
    You keep posting when I am posting. hehe

Okay, as far as Merchant Princes is concerned, it was overly complicated and unnecessarily so. I also recall thinking that it wasn't written very well or clearly.

As far as 1.1.1, I think if you could get freight in that would be great. If you could get passengers and mail that would be even better.

The chart for distance is enough to determine how much gets paid for whatever trip, that doesn't really need to be automated (imho, others may disagree).

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    When I did freight I decided it was cleaner to group the freight into bundles of similar tons than a giant distributed individual list. So I passed it all through a loop and counted how much of what ton was available by size. Then I just listed 5 x 60 tons, 3 x 50 tons, etc... If I had made one further leap of logic with that I'd probably have eliminated output for the three types of freight and just listed by # x tons. Major, minor and incidental matter to generation but have no actual purpose after that.
    It's true that once the lists are generated the actual listing of what they are, Major, Minor etc is moot.

The rule in place is that you must be able to take the full lot (so you can't split).

I think what would then be cool, is to drag that onto the PC's ship, or on the Party Sheet under a 'Cargo' tab, something like that.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

It's true that once the lists are generated the actual listing of what they are, Major, Minor etc is moot.

The rule in place is that you must be able to take the full lot (so you can't split).

I think what would then be cool, is to drag that onto the PC's ship, or on the Party Sheet under a 'Cargo' tab, something like that.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Yeah, that's why I group the bundles by ton like: 5 x 60 tons, 10 x 50 tons, 2 x 40 tons, 3 x 30 tons, 7 x 25 tons, etc...

Drag and drop would be cool... could probably just drop the tons, passengers, mail into a parcel like window for the results and then they can take what they take based on the capacity of the ship.

This is what I want to automate in the long run.

Say on Marduk you pick up some 30 tons of ore, it's destination is 2 parsecs away and you have 2 weeks, that's Cr1600 per ton = Cr48000. However you also pick up 10 tons of basic machinery destined for 3 parsecs away and due in 4 weeks, that's Cr3000 x 10 = Cr30000. You've got a Free Trader so that fits easily into your Cargo Hold.

When you arrive at your 2 parsec destination, you then get paid for the ore, and pick up more basic machinery (49 tons) for a 1 parsec destination, so that's Cr49000.

It's the swapping and updating, be nice to know when it's due etc

All my current thinking in my head this!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Freight doesn't usually have an associated type of item. It would be a cool extra, but generally you just get a box here that is going from here to there.

Speculative Trade is very different in that you buy it wherever you are and sell it wherever you want. Speculative Trade does have specific item types.

Yea it's just an example that you have 40 tons of this going there by that time, earning that much. Cos if you're over a week late it's reduced.

yep, sounds good, possibly passengers would work the same way as is a fixed income per parsec in 4 categories. going to save a lot of extra paperwork, NPC Passenger module in the making, just to spice up that time in Jump and interupt PC's.
    Ultimate License, Classic & Unity, Currently Running Fortnightly, 5E Land of Fate, 5E Vale of Shadows, 5E Pages of Darkness, 5E Izramurs lingering Gift, 5E Jotunhammer, 5E Terror Loch Tower, 5E Spellbinder, MGT2 Pirates of Drinax, 5E Storm Giants Thunder, 5E Winters Curse, 5E Catacombes of Sunless Sorrows

Yea it's just an example that you have 40 tons of this going there by that time, earning that much. Cos if you're over a week late it's reduced.
    I think it would be cool to have named freight for the rare Traveller that absolutely need to know what they are carrying on their ship. (I have one of those in my game... hehe)

Thread Information