DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: MGT2 Trade

MGT2 Trade

Folks,

I've been mulling over this a while and since doing recent work expanding the Worlds data the issue around Trade has been opened up by BackwardOracle and Esmdev.

Esmdev has got his own system working, a hybrid as he puts it and I suspect most of us have our own systems and rarely touch the official rules.

So I've read and re-read the MGT2 chapter on Trade and have some ideas, but what I'd like to do is to build up a system that works well enough (based on MGT2) that we can all use it, and use it easily.

There's a TAB been added to the Worlds data sheet, when you select it, what would you like to see, atm it's an empty sheet as shown here:

WorldsTradeTab.JPG

My current thinking. Passenger Traffic has a lot of variables for example you want luxury passengers and you've got a junky looking Free Trader modified to have more staterooms, not going to get many people is it.

Therefore I think Freight is something easier at the moment, all of the rolls the DM's can be pulled from the world data, the only unknown is the effect of the Broker check.

On going to the tab for a world how about there's a field where the Effect of the Broker/Streetwise can be entered, and then a button 'Generate Freight'. That makes the 3 rolls (major, minor, incidental) and populates the list below. Purchase/Sell prices need to be generated, for the moment just use the normal random variance listed on pages 212/213.

Allow the referee to add/remove/edit the various prices.

Thoughts please, and I'll get to work on it.
    Cheers,
    MBM
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; May 1st, 2020 at 20:12.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I would like to link the fact of Tech Level and Starport class somehow... for example a Planet like Borite with TL4 and Starport Class E is not going to allow for much traffic. Each planet could have some details but if you do random tables... on that example with Borite they won't be usually trading with Biochemicals or Advanced Weapons for example.

I could not see the TAB added that you said above... I think the image is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarobl View Post
    I would like to link the fact of Tech Level and Starport class somehow... for example a Planet like Borite with TL4 and Starport Class E is not going to allow for much traffic. Each planet could have some details but if you do random tables... on that example with Borite they won't be usually trading with Biochemicals or Advanced Weapons for example.

I could not see the TAB added that you said above... I think the image is missing?
    The graphic is there now, I forgot to add it as been tinkering with it.

The world type denotes what materials are available, and Tech Level doesn't make much difference, a backward planet like Mithril could have massive reserves of minerals.

The world data sheet has an extras on it, if you want to go into detail about why it's not a commonly visited planet. For example, TL4 was Starport B (Downport) but planet stripped of valuable resources, everyone left, everything is in ruins and people don't visit, so now it's classed as an E.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Freight is the easiest to generate (less variables) so start with that, however the problem with freight you'd also need a destination which will impact the choices available.

As freight is a flat fee per parsec is a broker score necessary? if someone is willing to pay over the standard they will negotiate rather than rely on a basic roll.
    Ultimate License, Classic & Unity, Currently Running Fortnightly, 5E Land of Fate, 5E Vale of Shadows, 5E Pages of Darkness, 5E Izramurs lingering Gift, 5E Jotunhammer, 5E Terror Loch Tower, 5E Spellbinder, MGT2 Pirates of Drinax, 5E Storm Giants Thunder, 5E Winters Curse, 5E Catacombes of Sunless Sorrows

Quote Originally Posted by backwardoracle View Post
    Freight is the easiest to generate (less variables) so start with that, however the problem with freight you'd also need a destination which will impact the choices available.

As freight is a flat fee per parsec is a broker score necessary? if someone is willing to pay over the standard they will negotiate rather than rely on a basic roll.
    Hi Chap,

Page 208 lists the DM's for the freight lots.

With entry of the Broker/Streetwise we could roll the list of lots available. As you say, these lots are assumed to have a destination as the Cargo is paid for upon arrival. The destination is upto the Referee.

So for the 1st go at Trade let's do Freight.

On the Trade Tab
    Enter the broker/streetwise DM
    Click to Roll for Major freight
    Click to Roll for Minor freight
    Click to Roll for Incidental freight

This gives us the number of lots of each type (for example):

Major, I rolled 3 taking the DM's into account, then I rolled 4 for the total number of lots, so we have 4 x (1D x 10) tons of freight.
    We now show 4 lots under the Major lots section, each with 1D x 10, so for example

Major Lot #1 - 30 tons
    Major Lot #2 - 30 tons
    Major Lot #1 - 50 tons
    Major Lot #4 - 10 tons

Minor, I rolled 5 taking into account the DMs. I then rolled 11 with the 2D. So for Minor we have 11 x (1D x 5) tons of freight.
    Now under the Major we show the Minor:
    Minor Lot #1 - 20 tons
    Minor Lot #2 - 15 tons
    Minor Lot #3 - 5 tons
    Minor Lot #11 - 25 tons

Incidental, I rolled 10 giving me 4D of lots, a poor roll with just 7 coming from it. That's 7 lots of 1D tons of freight.
    Lastly under the Major then Minor we list the Incidental
    Incidental Lot #1 - 1 ton
    Incidental Lot #2 - 5 tons
    Incidental Lot #7 - 2 tons

The price the Travellers will get is based on the Parsecs which is based on the destination. Nothing to do at the moment, unless we think a parsecs number should be entered and then the Freight costs can be calculated.

Get this right, we can look at speculative trading next.

Cheers,
    MBM

Now we have the number of lots for each type

Broker or streetwise are used to determine how much freight is available but do not factor into how much money is made. The only factor is how much and how far potentially modified by you took to long.
    Last edited by esmdev; May 2nd, 2020 at 01:03.

I do find it interesting that on page 210 of the core rulebook it does refer to the 1E book Merchant Princes.
    Ultimate License, Classic & Unity, Currently Running Fortnightly, 5E Land of Fate, 5E Vale of Shadows, 5E Pages of Darkness, 5E Izramurs lingering Gift, 5E Jotunhammer, 5E Terror Loch Tower, 5E Spellbinder, MGT2 Pirates of Drinax, 5E Storm Giants Thunder, 5E Winters Curse, 5E Catacombes of Sunless Sorrows

Quote Originally Posted by backwardoracle View Post
    I do find it interesting that on page 210 of the core rulebook it does refer to the 1E book Merchant Princes.
    I always assumed that they intended to update Merchant Princes to 2E and never got around to it. I suppose it is possible they were pointing at 1E. Many 1E systems are mostly system independent, minor tweaking to skills and you are generally good to go so maybe that's why they never bothered.

Having spoken with Matt on many occasions, one of my comments to him has always been 'what can I convert for 1E as I feel a lot of it is still very useful to 2E players' and I get the stock answer "Nothing it's all going to be updated".

The truth of the matter is that the time (layout, new art, rules updates, etc) it takes to update something that needs nothing more than tweaking is very costly, and if the 1E book works so well, there's less 'need' to do it, because sales would probably be low.

I've got Book 7, Merchant Prince, it's a very hard read and it's pehaps one of the reasons I've steered clear of heavy merchant interest (beyond Freight/Passengers) in my games. We work far too much with spreadsheets at work, I don't want to do it in my hobby time!

So what do you folks think to the proposed ideas for Trade in v1.1.1.?

Cheers,
    MBM

When I did freight I decided it was cleaner to group the freight into bundles of similar tons than a giant distributed individual list. So I passed it all through a loop and counted how much of what ton was available by size. Then I just listed 5 x 60 tons, 3 x 50 tons, etc... If I had made one further leap of logic with that I'd probably have eliminated output for the three types of freight and just listed by # x tons. Major, minor and incidental matter to generation but have no actual purpose after that.

Thread Information