STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 25 First 1234513 ... Last
    I would very mush like to see this working for FGC. While I have a license to FGU, I haven't moved my current game over to it yet.
    ChumSlinger
    Guaranteed fresh, 100% Grade A Nerd

Hi ChumSlinger,

It does work with FGC ... as far as I can tell ... if you are willing to spend 5 minutes with a zip utility and a text editor. I'll run you through the steps I performed to get it working.

• Rename the 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon.ext file to 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon.zip and extract it into a folder directly under you FGC extensions folder, e.g. ..\extensions\5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon.
    • Open the file ..\extensions\5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon\scripts \rfia_roll_managager.lua in your text editor.
    • Change line 84 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. ABILITIES); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, ABILITIES);
    • Change line 88 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SAVES); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SAVES);
    • Change line 92 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SAVEOVERRIDES); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SAVEOVERRIDES);
    • Change line 96 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SKILLS); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SKILLS);
    • Change line 100 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. EXTRAS); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, EXTRAS);
    • Change line 104 from return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. DICE); to return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, DICE);
    • Save the file

The folder version of the extension will override any .ext version in the extensions folder.

After doing the above I find that the extension now works in my FGC installation.
    Last edited by bracken; May 31st, 2020 at 09:54. Reason: Added missing S to SAVES in the line 88 edit. Thanks, Bokeelia for spotting it

Thanks Bracken, I've been hoping someone would figure out how to modify it for classic.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I'm trying to implement it but I'm getting the following error: "Script Error: [string "scripts/rfia_roll_manager.lua"]:88: getChild: Invalid argument"
    Any thoughts?
    ChumSlinger

Are you testing it with other extensions? If so try it using a new campaign with no other extensions installed, then slowly add in other extensions until you see which ones conflict.

If it's anything like it was for me, then after testing everything none of the extensions will conflict, then when you try reloading it in the first campaign you won't get an error. It was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ScriedRaven View Post
    Are you testing it with other extensions? If so try it using a new campaign with no other extensions installed, then slowly add in other extensions until you see which ones conflict.

If it's anything like it was for me, then after testing everything none of the extensions will conflict, then when you try reloading it in the first campaign you won't get an error. It was weird.
    I've tried loading it in a brand new campaign with no other ext's
    ChumSlinger

Hi Chumslinger,

That error, "getChild: Invalid argument", is the original error I was seeing. The 88 is the line number in the file at which the error occurred.That is one of the lines I suggested needed changing. The fact that it didn't fail at line 84 means that you managed the first edit successfully. I can only suggest you have another look at line 88 and make sure it says:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SAVES);

Check all the punctuation carefully, having been a software / database developer for well over 30 years I have lost track of the number of times I have studied a piece code "knowing" it was correct only to spot a colon rather than a semi-colon or a missing quote or similar. Anyway, good luck with your edits and I hope you find the error. Failing that you could try cutting and pasting lines 87 to 90 from the file to see if someone can spot what might be going wrong. It is amazing how quickly a second set of eyes can spot a mistake that you overlook because you know what you typed .
    Last edited by bracken; May 31st, 2020 at 09:54. Reason: poor puctuation. missing S on SAVES

bracken, I tried as well and get the same error. There was 0 typing as I copied and pasted it. I have rechecked to make sure that your code didn't have a typo in it and it doesn't. Doesn't work.

Hi Bokeelia,

I am going to try and redo everything I did to get it working in FGC to make sure I didn't miss something. (I definitely have it working as I used it on Friday for a lunchtime 5E session with some friends).

Step 1 -> I have just copied my amended version of the extension somewhere else.
    Step 2 -> Stuck a new copy of Houndy's extension, version 0.16, from the first post of this thread in the extensions folder of FGC.
    Step 3 -> Start a new 5E campaign using this extension and no other.

I get the following error in the console: Script Error: [string "scripts/rfia_roll_manager.lua"]:84: getChild: Invalid argument

If I try to load the addon the CHECK, SAVES, DICE, EXTRA and SKILLS lists are all empty.

Step 4 -> Make a copy of 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon.ext in the extensions folder and rename the copy to 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon.zip
    Step 5 -> Extract the zip file inside the extensions folder creating a folder called 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon containing the RFIA files.
    Step 6 -> delete the zip file as we don't need it any longer
    Step 7 -> open the file 5e_Roll_For_Initiative_Addon/scripts/rfia_roll_manager.lua in a text editor (I use Sublime Text, but any text editor should be fine)
    Step 8 -> find line 84. It contains the following text:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. ABILITIES);

Step 9 -> I replace that text with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, ABILITIES);

Step 10 -> Save the file.
    Step 11 -> Close FGC and restart the same campaign. (A restart is needed to get FGC to switch to using the folder version of the extension rather than the .ext file).

I get the following error in the console: Script Error: [string "scripts/rfia_roll_manager.lua"]:88: getChild: Invalid argument

If I try to load the addon the CHECK list is now populated. Hooray, I am getting there!

Step 12 -> Switch back to my editor and amend line 88. It contains the following text:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SAVES);

Step 13 -> I replace that text with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SAVES);

Step 14 -> Looking ahead in the file I can see four more calls to DB.getChild that seem to map to the other lists and bits that are missing. I edit lines 92, 96, 100 and 104.
    92 contained:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SAVEOVERRIDES);

I replace it with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SAVEOVERRIDES);

96 contained:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. SKILLS);

I replaced it with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, SKILLS);

100 contained:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. EXTRAS);

I replaced it with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, EXTRAS);

104 contained:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS .. "." .. DICE);

I replaced it with:

return DB.getChild("RFIA_Root." .. ROLLS, DICE);

Step 15 -> I saved the file and switch back to my FGC campaign window.
    Step 16 -> In the Chat box I type: /reload

The campaign reloads and this time no console errors are shown. When I try out the addon it all appears to work ... result!

Sorry for the long-winded post. I put this post together as I was doing the steps above. Hopefully someone else can follow them and let me know if these edits work for them. If not I am at a loss to explain how I have got things working.

Good luck and I hope you get this wonderful addon to work.

(If I could work out how to attach a text file to this post I would upload a copy of my edited file)
    Last edited by bracken; May 31st, 2020 at 00:04.

Thank you. The previous post didn't say to delete the zip file so I had renamed it back to an EXT. That might be my issue but in middle of a session and on our 5 minute break so cannot check at the moment.

Thread Information