DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 7 of 9 First ... 56789 Last
    You are still supposed to be on 4/28 (or 4/29 on Mac). The other two updates were rolled back. No need to keep reinstalling.

This might be off topic. However I noticed if protected folder issue comes up. It is impossible to fix without deleting registery settings.

The uninstall process does not clear the registery. As a result a simply trying to install will fail every time. It will keep on hitting the error and it is also possible to have diffrent values for the data folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmiteWorks and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks.

It keeps reading bad data and it can break the installer. This all leads to repeated failure to install correctly. It can be fixed by deleting the broken registery settings. FGU will then install correctly.

The trouble is there is a lot of end users that will not think about manually clearing the registery errors. They expect the uninstal function to that. As a result they report a range of problems because a unistalling and reinstall process fails to clear their issue.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    This might be off topic. However I noticed if protected folder issue comes up. It is impossible to fix without deleting registery settings.

The uninstall process does not clear the registery. As a result a simply trying to install will fail every time. It will keep on hitting the error and it is also possible to have diffrent values for the data folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmiteWorks and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks.

It keeps reading bad data and it can break the installer. This all leads to repeated failure to install correctly. It can be fixed by deleting the broken registery settings. FGU will then install correctly.

The trouble is there is a lot of end users that will not think about manually clearing the registery errors. They expect the uninstal function to that. As a result they report a range of problems because a unistalling and reinstall process fails to clear their issue.
    Thank you for the tip.
    I've added a task to look into this.
    This is possibly related to an older from when we ran the update process as administrator.
    Can you confirm that this still occurs with the latest installer?

I don't see a reason really not to remove this settings file on uninstall if it's causing an issue, but I'd probably rather have permissions set correctly so this isn't an issue if we can/need to. Mostly because our paradigm at the moment is to leave settings intact for the uninstall.

How do I uninstall FGU without it messing with folder permissions on my system?

I'm not sure I'm following the question/concern. There should be an uninstall option right in the FG Settings.

Regards,
    JPG

Trying to uninstall lead to FG asking me to first change the folder permissions on my system first. Something I do not want, hence me trying to uninstall in order to install to a different folder (with non administrator write permissions).

I am currently in the process of installing a new version over the old one, hoping that this was solved meanwhile. Unfortunately download bandwidth from the FG server's side is less than 1 mb/s, despite my line allowing over 10 mb/s.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; July 19th, 2020 at 21:30.

After updating I am allowed to uninstall without having to change folder permission. The Programs & Features entry was not removed, nor was the Program Files folder, but the content was deleted.

What is the current status of this folder permission thing? I did not notice a ProgramData folder being used instead, so how is it currently solved?

The app folder is added to the Program Files folder; and requests elevated privileges if needed to install files there.
    The data folder is added to the User's %APPDATA% folder; and will request privileges to change the permissions if it can't write to that folder using the user who started the updater app.

JPG

Thanks for the clarification. Asking for elevated privileges for installations/updates is the right way to go.

For a new install on macOS 11.0 Big Sur (actually 11.1), my program directory is in the default /Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds and my data directory is in $HOME/Dropbox/games/Fantasy Grounds Unity. I was getting a failed to fix permissions error from the updater. Recursively changing permissions on the directories DID NOT help. However, going into System Preferences - Security & Privacy and adding FGUpdaterEngine to Full Disk Access solved the problem.

FGU either needs to be updated to ask for this permission, if it indeed needs it, or the application needs to be updated so that it does not trip over the default macOS security in current releases.

Javin - Sean P. Kane
    Author, Developer, Teacher, Player, and Gamemaster

DMs Guild Creations
    Support via Discord: Discord Invite Channel: #sean-p-kane-javins-stuff

Thread Information