DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Incoming Updater Permissions Changes

Greetings!

There will be new Installers/Updater going out soon for Windows and PC. I'll link them here when available, but I needed the post created to finalize the build
    Edit
    https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibra...WebInstall.exe [PC]
    https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibra...WebInstall.pkg [MAC]

Recently, we've had some reports of difficulties running Fantasy Grounds in a multi-user environment, particularly on Windows.
    After some investigation, we came to the conclusion that running the Update software as Administrator (as we've been doing up to this point), can cause unexpected issues for some users.\

The main type of user this may affect is anyone running on a non-administrator account.
    In short, if you have two accounts on your computer:
    adminUser
    nonAdminUser

If you were logged into nonAdminUser and wanted to set up Fantasy Grounds for that user: running the program as administrator will effectively get settings associated with adminUser.
    If you're using the default data directory, it will be associated with adminUser.

Unfortunately, the fix to correct this and use the settings locations (in the registry, HKCU) we originally intended to use, will mean that anyone who is using Fantasy Grounds on a non-administrator account will have their settings cleared by this new system. None of your campaigns or data will be relocated or deleted in this change, but you will have to log in with your username again and enter your license key once more.

Where are my campaigns?

If you are one of the users that has been using Fantasy Grounds to build campaigns on a non-administrator account, you will need to locate or relocate your campaign data. If you used the default data directory, your data is likely stored at
    C:\Users\[adminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds

The recommended course of action would be to copy (likely from the administrator account) your original data folder and relocate it to a central location (another drive or folder on the same drive), or to the new default location for your non-administrator user:
    C:\Users\[nonAdminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds

Updater/Installer Walkthrough/Tutorial

As part of the process for fixing this particular issue, we needed to move some functionality out of the Installer and into the updater itself. In this spirit, there is now a "first time user" walkthrough.
    Users will be presented with a multi-stage walkthrough of setting up the updater. This includes Setting up the data directory and making sure it's accessible, logging in, license key, and desktop/start menu shortcuts.
    There is still a stage in the process (Fixing Folder Permissions) that will prompt for administrator access, but it is a child process that makes a folder accessible to the user and then dies.

In part, this will ensure that new users have a more seamless flow into the game, and also cleans up many of the permissions issues reported over the last few months.

Please feel free to comment on this thread if the information was insufficient to solve any issues you are encountering.

OSX Updates

The OSX Updater has also been updated to include the new walkthrough system, though the shortcut page has been omitted.
    We have not fundamentally changed the permissions structure on OSX, so this is largely cosmetic here (though there is slightly refined warnings for permissions issues).

Cheers,
    --Ryan--
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redeyesofnight; April 25th, 2020 at 04:35.

Blog Entries
    I think this is going to help cut down a great deal of confusion and support requests. Nicely done.

One suggestion would be to add a bit more clarification to the instructions on demo users entering their license keys. Specifically;
    "If you are a demo user, you may continue."
    to
    "If you are a demo user, you may continue without entering a license key."

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Would it be easier for me to uninstall and reinstall unity? I keep Classic on me 'E' drive SSD and Unity on a separate G SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Would it be easier for me to uninstall and reinstall unity? I keep Classic on me 'E' drive SSD and Unity on a separate G SSD.
    This is my next round of updates, coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Totally misread this first time around, apologies.
    You should be able to install over your original, I wouldn’t expect application folder to matter much.
    The crux of this is that if you’ve been playing on a non admin user account, you will have to sign in again and locate your original data folder.
    Perhaps it would be best to locate and back up your campaign or whole data folder before you update, then copy them to the new location.

It really depends where you keep your data folder rather than application folder.

Hi, I experience now an issue when updating.
    First, as allways I get the message from UAC that Fanrasy grounds wants to update, I select yes.
    Then, fantasy ground updater reports that it does not have write access, and also asks for access. Selecting yes does not make this messgae go away. But behind this message from fantasy grounds updater, I see that fantasy grounds is updating all the modules.

How can I not have this message anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
    Hi, I experience now an issue when updating.
    First, as allways I get the message from UAC that Fanrasy grounds wants to update, I select yes.
    Then, fantasy ground updater reports that it does not have write access, and also asks for access. Selecting yes does not make this messgae go away. But behind this message from fantasy grounds updater, I see that fantasy grounds is updating all the modules.

How can I not have this message anymore?
    I also have this issue Update seemingly works, but FGU always asks there that it needs permission, although I already clicked "Fix Permissions" etc.

(one can see below that the update is doing something, and my update button does not get red anymore, so seemingly update worked, but the window about permission is stuck (so, seemingly just a visual bug?) )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 24th, 2020 at 16:54.

oh, it seems that is indeed stops updating; as far as I have seen, the most recent version is the 23. of April, I am stuck on the 22. of April. Thence, probably not just a visual bug (speaking about the version of the launcher, not the updater)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 25th, 2020 at 02:28.

Thread Information