FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I find it interesting that your tracert is using ipv6 addresses. Do you have ipv4 connectivity as well? As an experiment, if you disable ipv6 does it change things?

I've got no clue what those are

Quote Originally Posted by Ram My Rump View Post
    I've got no clue what those are
    Probably not wise to mess with then, I'm not sure it would help and I could imagine a scenario where messing around with it kills your internet if you're not clear exactly what you're doing and why.

Your tracert is showing network address types that are uncommon in the US. I wonder if there's an issue when running on top of IPv6. I have no evidence to suggest that, and it's not trivial for me to test. If someone else has experienced IPv6 problems (or can confirm that it works with no problems), maybe they'll pipe up now that fact has been highlighted, though.

I doubt IPv6 is the issue, IPv4 vs. 6 really should not make that much difference.

I noticed the IPv6 addresses in his log (::1 is the local loop back for IPv6). He is in Australia, so not that unlikely he might be getting IPv6 from his ISP.

It looks like the tracert is completing (even though some of the hops are failing).

I haven’t really troubleshot IPv6, like Pollux mentioned, it is not all that common in the US yet.

I’m out of ideas, unless the issue is IPv6 for some odd reason, but I imagine there are quite a few users in AUS and they don’t seem to be having issues.

I’d let a dev respond when they have a chance, maybe the logs you posted will tell them something.

Best bet is to see the sticky post about what to provide them, and email support@ to get the info to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    I doubt IPv6 is the issue, IPv4 vs. 6 really should not make that much difference.
    This is a weird thing to say. It's incredibly common for applications that aren't tested on IPv6 to fail when used with it. Hard-coding invalid assumptions about IPv4 address-formatting has been like a national sport among US-based developers for years, and sadly people still do it today until they get caught out. One would HOPE that Smiteworks and/or their network library vendor is on top of IPv6 support and that it works fine, but it definitely CAN make a difference and frequently does in non-browser based applications that handle their own networking.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    This is a weird thing to say. It's incredibly common for applications that aren't tested on IPv6 to fail when used with it. Hard-coding invalid assumptions about IPv4 address-formatting has been like a national sport among US-based developers for years, and sadly people still do it today until they get caught out. One would HOPE that Smiteworks and/or their network library vendor is on top of IPv6 support and that it works fine, but it definitely CAN make a difference and frequently does in non-browser based applications that handle their own networking.

There have been some other users posting screen shots with IPv6 addresses that were able to connect just fine, so it does work for some people. That is why I do not think that is the root cause here, but it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    There have been some other users posting screen shots with IPv6 addresses that were able to connect just fine, so it does work for some people. That is why I do not think that is the root cause here, but it is possible.
    Ah, I stand corrected. I hadn't seen those and thought you were making a general statement about IPv6 being pretty much like IPv4 and not likely to cause an issue. If you've seen others reporting success with IPv6, then you have more detailed info than I.

Bumping because this still isnt solved

I'm not sure what's causing the error, as that error is coming from inside the base .Net library used by our programming language and then into a network library we licensed.

I think the first question I would have to try and help was whether you have any special network setup or network security, and are you using a VPN?

Regards,
    JPG

Im using a good old standard connection, using either my phone for wifi, my modem wifi, or just straight ethernet cable.'

I dont use VPNs

Thread Information