DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Thanks so much!
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

One of my players wanted to "Summon Fey". I thought that I could open the Bestiary and filter all fey of appropriate level. Turns out that there is no category "Fey" in the FG Bestiary, despite this category existing in the PDF Bestiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    One of my players wanted to "Summon Fey". I thought that I could open the Bestiary and filter all fey of appropriate level. Turns out that there is no category "Fey" in the FG Bestiary, despite this category existing in the PDF Bestiary.
    Paizo list creatures by category and type. Also creatures all have traits. These are three different things, although there is some overlap.

The "Creature by Type" list is available in the Appendix of the Reference manual, which will give you a list of the creatures that are of type = fey. This is not the same as Category = Fey, because there are no creatures of category = fey. The creatures that are listed as type = fey have categories of gremlin, sprite, nymph (to name but a few) and some don't have categories at all.

I need to revisit doing filtering based on traits, but I don't know if this will ever be implemented as it is very inefficient and a big burden on FG if there are a lot of creatures available within the campaign and activated modules.

Use the Creature by type list in the appendix of the bestiary if you want to get a list of fey type creatures.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I don't see me ever filtering by a category "nymph" instead of a trait "fey" or by category "elephant" instead of trait "animal". So category filtering in its current implementation seems of very limited use.

I do understand that trait filtering might put a burden on the CPU, but frankly, if users choose to enable/use it then they know what they are doing from the second time around. And my PC is powerful enough to do digital filtering, it's what computers are made for so that we do not have to look up information in the appendix of a book. One could argue that the whole idea of using traits (aka tags) is to enable search/filtering by tag. That's what tags are used for in all kind of applications.

That being said, how about implementing a filter called "Type", which does the filtering based on the list of creatures by type as found in the appendix?

Grabbed and Escape

In the Bestiary Automation is there anything like this

"Escape Chain"|DC: 22 Athletics

?
    Last edited by Willot; November 5th, 2020 at 23:21.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Not entirely sure what you are asking, Willot. When I set up the automation, some things (currently) only get Effect Notes to indicate their process. For example, creatures that Grab will end up with an automation effect notation that will be something like this:

"automatically Grabs"|Effect: Grabbed; Escape DC 28[DC:28][D:2][END]

That will at least show that the grabbed creature is being held and needs an Escape check with a DC of 28 (will last til the end of the next round as per the Grab rules - unless reapplied).

There very well may be a day when having the DC tied to an effect can be coupled with the player character skill actions (which is in the works), but for now, this is the best I could offer. I am, as always, open up to alternative solutions and discussions on what we can do currently to make game play easier.

PS: I added the Grab action for creatures which feature that particular ability on hit. It is displayed as follows (which is where the automatically grabs automation trigger comes in to play):

Grab [one-action] Requirement The monster's last action was a success with a Strike that lists Grab in its damage entry, or it has a creature grabbed using this action. Effect The monster automatically Grabs the target until the end of the monster's next turn. The creature is grabbed by whichever body part the monster attacked with, and that body part can't be used to Strike creatures until the grab is ended.

Using Grab extends the duration of the monster's Grab until the end of its next turn for all creatures grabbed by it. A grabbed creature can use the Escape action to get out of the grab, and the Grab ends for grabbed creatures if the monster moves away from it.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Just discovered this in a reddit post, but seems Bestiary 2 got some errata released quietly, even the Archive of Nethys doesn't seem to have the updates they posted here

Thx, Kaer, I'll definitely look into updating FG's version to reflect this.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks for reporting. I'm sure the product converter will get this fixed up soon. In the meantime, to fix the issue, make a copy of the Specter and edit the copy: add a close bracket to the Resistances line so that it reads: all 5 (except force, ghost touch, or positive)
    Is there a "best practice" for this between using brackets or an exclamation mark? It seems both work, so I'm curious which would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by thepope View Post
    Is there a "best practice" for this between using brackets or an exclamation mark? It seems both work, so I'm curious which would be best.
    FG makes an attempt to parse the description text into FG effect code. The final FG effect code uses exclamation marks to denote exceptions. It's not designed to specifically ready exclamation marks in the original text, but some formats including them may get passed through to the end effect; but it's not specifically designed that way.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information