DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Taking a PDF or word file and importing into FG for group.

Hey everyone!

I have made a journal for the BBEG for my group to find. I'm looking to import it into fantasy grounds to share with everyone when they find it. It's 10 pages total. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravereality View Post
    Hey everyone!

I have made a journal for the BBEG for my group to find. I'm looking to import it into fantasy grounds to share with everyone when they find it. It's 10 pages total. Any suggestions?
    For just text, I would copy it to a text editor like notepad or notepad++ to clean up before import. PDF's especially can have lots of weirdness and control characters that need cleaned. Then just copy them into a story entry you can share. You can also create an item and put the text in the description field.

If it has artwork, or styalized fonts and such, you can always take screenshots and import them as images to be shared.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Welcome to the forums Bravereality!

There's no real "import" unless it a specific tool written by the community. Otherwise it's a case of manually copy/paste of data.

If you're playing D&D 5E, there's a couple of "parsers" to help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...297-5e-Parsers

There are some other tools that can be useful, depending on what system you're playing and what type of data you're looking to get into FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you want to be as fast as possible, without any extra tools for a quick one time thing....

Copy your text. It will likely be in chunks, but copy it and paste it. You can do this into a Note, a Story item, or in the text field of a newly created Item. But it is going to look messy.

Once it is all in, select ALL your text. Ctrl-A works for this, just like CTRL-C worked for copy, and CTRL-V worked for paste. So select it all, and then his CTRL-J.

CTRL-J will join all this text into one continuous block. I know this seems time consuming, but this is actually the most direct way to do this. Once you have your block of text, you have two things left to do.

First, find each work that started a paragraph in your original content, click to the left of that word, and hit enter. This will break your paragraphs back up how they were, and all errant formatting will be gone.

Last, format words and titles how you like. You can select and right click, or use keyboard shortcuts. CTRL-I is Italics, CTRL-B is Bold... CTRL-2 is header text.... etc...
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

I would post it to something like Google Drive/Docs. You can share links inside of FG (example, make a Note with the Link).

Update to my post above. I don’t think I understood the original question at first. Sorry about that.

As you’re wanting to share a journal, the answer depends on whether you want to share the text or you have a graphical version (showing parchment, etc.). If it’s text, create one or more Story entries (not Notes) and use the formatting i3ullseye mentions. If it’s graphical, split the images into easily read chunks - maybe 1000 pixels tall per image, and import those into FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information