STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    Blog Entries
    So my Statement of Intent window is coming along.. still not completely working but looking a lot better in general.
    Still have maybe a dozen or so critical issues that need to be resolved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Blackfoot regarding rounds/init order in Runequest (which i know nothing about) Celestian shared some code that allows you to reorder entries in a list via drag and drop. It might be something that could work for you.
    What code is this you were talking about? I don't think it would help me with the CT directly.. but it could help with reordering the SOI window.
    I seem to remember Celestian commenting in this thread but I can't find it now.. I'm feeling like I responded rather rude and dismissively in a fit of frustration with whatever was going on at the time.. but I can't seem to find that either... starting to wonder if I might have been having some sort of bad dream now...

Blog Entries
    Cool. I see what he's doing there.. I think I can do something like that for my list as well.

This is awesome Blackfoot. we await your work of art with baited breath, and it's a hell of a lot better than my go at the RQ2 extension!

Az.

Blog Entries
    So .. when dealing with the matter of damage.. things get kinda complex.
    In a FtF game it's a simple matter.
    Make 4 dice rolls apply the appropriate mathematics.. and notate the damage on the sheet.
    The trick for FG is that all those rolls need to remember each other.
    I roll my attack.. depending on how well I roll.. my damage can change.
    You roll your parry.. depending on how well you roll.. my attack can change.. plus I can do damage to your weapon... and my damage can change.
    I roll hit location.. the result can be adjusted by delayed strike ranks.
    THEN I roll damage .. it might be a special.. or a crit.. depending on the attack and parry results.. we subtract the weapon/shield/armor that applies to the location.. and apply the damage to the location... and to total HP (assuming it is not beyond the limits for the limb)

OK.. not so simple.

Options...
    In a video game.. the rolls would all be automatic. I choose to swing the opponent automatically tries to parry.. the results are calculated.. I might be able to try and swing for the head... or not but that'd be a slight tweak to the interface leaning up on the controller or something. So.. we could make it automatic... but.. the player might want to have the option to parry with sword or shield.. perfectly reasonable and part of the game.. we could have an 'equipped' parry.. so the interface knows which weapon to parry with.
    Currently the location roll is being handled automatically on a successful hit. You hit.. it rolls a d20 and tells you the location for the target based on his hit locations.. that doesn't allow for delaying and adjusting.. I need some sort of interface for showing which location was rolled and a range that it can be changed by based on the 'delay' in the SOI.. and then and interface for making that change.
    OK.. so now we have a hit and parry.. and a location.. the damage part should be straight forward.. roll the damage subtract the weapon/shield/armor for that location from the roll and apply the damage to the location.

Hrm.
    Do players want to roll their OWN parry rolls? Probably. What does THAT look like.. Attack roll... ugh.. I can't think about it anymore.

Blog Entries
    Players like to roll their own saving throws in D&D but that is all automated by the system instead.

I suggest that somethings you should just make it done by the system. You parry - then the system does it.

You can always manually override if needed, better to make the programming more simple where possible.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    Make 4 dice rolls apply the appropriate mathematics.. and notate the damage on the sheet.
    You roll your parry.. depending on how well you roll.. my attack can change.. plus I can do damage to your weapon... and my damage can change.
    THEN I roll damage .. it might be a special.. or a crit.. depending on the attack and parry results.. we subtract the weapon/shield/armor that applies to the location.. and apply the damage to the location... and to total HP (assuming it is not beyond the limits for the limb)

OK.. not so simple.

Options...
    In a video game.. the rolls would all be automatic. I choose to swing the opponent automatically tries to parry.. the results are calculated.. I might be able to try and swing for the head... or not but that'd be a slight tweak to the interface leaning up on the controller or something. So.. we could make it automatic... but.. the player might want to have the option to parry with sword or shield.. perfectly reasonable and part of the game.. we could have an 'equipped' parry.. so the interface knows which weapon to parry with.
    Currently the location roll is being handled automatically on a successful hit. You hit.. it rolls a d20 and tells you the location for the target based on his hit locations.. that doesn't allow for delaying and adjusting.. I need some sort of interface for showing which location was rolled and a range that it can be changed by based on the 'delay' in the SOI.. and then and interface for making that change.
    OK.. so now we have a hit and parry.. and a location.. the damage part should be straight forward.. roll the damage subtract the weapon/shield/armor for that location from the roll and apply the damage to the location.

Hrm.
    Do players want to roll their OWN parry rolls? Probably. What does THAT look like.. Attack roll... ugh.. I can't think about it anymore.
    If players enjoy the slower to and fro of that style of combat then working out a way to do this would be great.
    If its part of the game but is really a drag then perhaps automating those rolls might be better?

If you want to support it, one way to do it is to create additional fields on the CS/CT. You make your first roll and you store the roll result or the degree of success etc in the first field (if its only one at a time you could actually store the degree of success in the Mod window). Then roll the second roll manually and reference the first field, or Modifier, and declare the result or repeat, storing it in the second field or Modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post

OK.. not so simple.

Options...

Hrm.
    I was actually talking about this very thing in the main core update to BRP. The way it should work is this:

Target and roll attack.

Attack roll is base roll a special or a critical, if so it hits, else add target defence to roll result, still rolls under then it's a hit, if not, defence saved (would be good to have a visual of the defence save so that the GM can advise the player to tick their defence. Store success result to a variable with the auto roll for hit locations (saw you have this covered).

Next, allow target to Parry (even if a miss because they can do damage to the attacker's weapon. If attack was a special or critical, target must score a special or critical on parry in order to parry. I would suggest leaving this to the GM and player to work out themselves to be honest, as it's fun and they should have declared who they were going to parry at the start of the round (though i think that's a house rule of mine.. after 30 years i've forgotten lol).

Next, if they havent ignored and moved on because of a successful Parry, the attacker should roll damage and it should apply to the location roll, armor absorbs unless a critical and ignore any further damage past twice the hitpoints of the limb as this would be severed and can take no more damage. the full damage that the limb took up to negative maximum should then be taken added to max wounds.

Hope that makes sense and isnt too much babble OMG i'm excited for this ruleset

BTW, if you need testers let me know. I have a group of runequest 2 veterans gagging for the ruleset :P
    Last edited by Azaran; June 15th, 2020 at 16:57.

I cant wait for this, I currently run RQG on roll 20 as FG has terrible support and we use the BTP gold book rule 1D10 + dex as tracking individual strike ranks slows the game down so much. Cant wait to test this with my players in gringles pawnshop

Thread Information