Starfinder Playlist
Page 13 of 26 First ... 3111213141523 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot Robot View Post
    Thought I might add my 2 cents.

I was also getting 80% utilization on a 2080ti with the latest updates. After checking in Steam I saw that FG was running at 2300 FPS. I had to enable Vsync for FG in the Nvidia control panel to bring it in line.

Thanks for all the hard work, guys. Love the app.
    Thanks. As you have discovered, you should not disabled vsync in the graphics settings. I would be hard pressed to come up with any graphics card settings that would have a positive impact on FGU.

Never disabled it, I just don't keep it on every program by default. Sometimes 500+ frames is what i want. Maybe others have the same setup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caste381 View Post
    A friend of mine mentioned that Unity supports on demand rendering, which would lower frame rate when nothing is changing on screen.
    It might be a superfluous question but could this feature help?
    OnDemandRendering allows the programmer to temporarily reduce the frame rate. It does not detect when such an action would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    OnDemandRendering allows the programmer to temporarily reduce the frame rate. It does not detect when such an action would be appropriate.
    Oh, I see. Thanks for answering!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot Robot View Post
    Never disabled it, I just don't keep it on every program by default. Sometimes 500+ frames is what i want. Maybe others have the same setup.
    The default global OS setting for vertical sync is "Use the 3D application setting." If this is not your setting, then you have overridden the value. I just want to make sure that I'm understanding the situation and this is not a bug. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The default global OS setting for vertical sync is "Use the 3D application setting." If this is not your setting, then you have overridden the value. I just want to make sure that I'm understanding the situation and this is not a bug. Thanks.
    Yup, you're right. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Headshot Robot; November 11th, 2020 at 23:30.

I've had reasonable performance since all the optimization of lists went out so I had never thought to characterize it, but this discussion made me curious. My FGU is correctly limiting itself to 144Hz, but tasks as simple as resizing a window or dragging the window around the display area cause the FPS to tank. I ran a 60 second test and during that time I just dragged the Image window around, opened a couple images from modules, zoomed in and out, etc. My minimum FPS was 39 (!!!).

System:
    Acer Predator PH315-52
    Geforce GTX 1660 Ti
    Intel Core i7-9750H @ 2.60 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    1920 x 1080, 144 Hz

Campaign loaded:
    v4.0.1 Ultimate (2020-11-10)
    No Players Connected
    D&D 5E
    Theme: D&D - Official
    Multiple Desktop Decal options loaded

Modules Loaded:
    A homebrew NPC Module
    Rob Twohy 5e Conditions & Effects
    Rob Twohy 5e Effects Coding - Spells
    DMG
    MM
    PHB
    Tome of Beasts 2
    D&D RftLW
    Archetypes of Eberron
    Creature Codex
    Unearthed Arcana
    MToF
    VGtM
    XGtE
    Exploring Eberron

I know it's a lot of modules... but I'd be surprised if that increased the load due to moving a frame around, or loading an image.

Problem is that FGU is CPU (single-thread) bottlenecked. You can throw all your GPU power at it, but it won't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Problem is that FGU is CPU (single-thread) bottlenecked. You can throw all your GPU power at it, but it won't matter much.
    There are lots of games that are single threaded, and still perform fine. I don't think it's the albatross you make it out to be, but I could be wrong.

Those games are either optimized accordingly then or suffer from the same issues. Once the one CPU core is fully loaded something has to suffer, be it frame-rates or other processing.

Let's say this in another way: FGU hardly even taxes my RTX 2070 Super, but my frame-rates still drop when the single thread is overloaded.

Thread Information