STAR TREK 2d20
Page 11 of 26 First ... 91011121321 ... Last
    The industry won't jump immediately on the ARM-based Macs bandwagon. Apple also realize that and mentioned in the keynotes that Rosetta 2 will support the users in the transition period, until applications are ported to ARM where possible. The whole thing is **** move from Apple, but it is their second nature.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Actually, it will be up to the developers of the Unity platform to first test out Unity on the new platform etc. Then once Unity itself is supported on ARM, then FGU can be updated to use whatever updates in the numerous Unity libraries FGU uses to support ARM. Don't expect ARM support for Unity or FGU next month. Personally I wouldn't expect reliable ARM support until 12 months after release of a new architecture. But then again, I've never like being on the bleeding edge.
    Unity already has support for Apple Silicon. Obviously no computers that have Apple Silicon are available yet and timing of the rumored Mac laptop are just that, rumors. Agreed that it's a ways off for wide support. Regardless, I'm looking forward to what developers do with this, and of course FGU =)

Straight from the Unity developer themselves:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/06/22...apple-silicon/
    Last edited by Recurse; October 24th, 2020 at 01:25.

"At this point, the program is running great and we don't expect any more critical updates."

It's kind of revolting to read that, having to deal with FGU using 100% of my GPU.

Carl and I have talked about this a fair amount over time. We're not sure that the Unity engine respects the target 60 fps frame rate we set on all systems; or those systems are running at a lower than 60 fps in hardware. We've suspected this for a while; but I was a bit leery of changing a core setting. Carl reached out to pablomaz, and was able to verify that it worked in their scenario. So, we're going to give it a run in the next release build.

So, we're going to switch back to synch FPS to OS display frame rate (depends on OS and monitor) by default. Then, we're going to add a "/vsync [0-4]" command to allow us to adjust this option with users that might still have connection issues, until we're sure we understand completely. (0 = fixed 60 fps, 1 = match OS frame rate, 2 = half OS frame rate, 3 = third OS frame rate, 4 = quarter OS frame rate)

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Carl and I have talked about this a fair amount over time. We're not sure that the Unity engine respects the target 60 fps frame rate we set on all systems; or those systems are running at a lower than 60 fps in hardware. We've suspected this for a while; but I was a bit leery of changing a core setting. Carl reached out to pablomaz, and was able to verify that it worked in their scenario. So, we're going to give it a run in the next release build.

So, we're going to switch back to synch FPS to OS display frame rate (depends on OS and monitor) by default. Then, we're going to add a "/vsync [0-4]" command to allow us to adjust this option with users that might still have connection issues, until we're sure we understand completely. (0 = fixed 60 fps, 1 = match OS frame rate, 2 = half OS frame rate, 3 = third OS frame rate, 4 = quarter OS frame rate)

Regards,
    JPG
    John (and Carl), thanks for assessing this issue. Can't wait to see that up and running... Hopefully it will solve this problem, or minimize it...
    Regards,

I am fixing to get a new video card just to run FGU, any suggestions on what to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodie View Post
    I am fixing to get a new video card just to run FGU, any suggestions on what to get.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...w-and-Download

See System Specifications there. For Video Cards the minimum is 2 GB of RAM, they recommend 4 GB. There are new cards coming out right now (Nvidia 3000 series, and AMD's RX 6000 series are being announced tomorrow I think). While all the new stuff is definitely overkill for FGU, it is also going to be the best performance for the money. By buying older cards new or used, you'll be able to pay less, but you'll get less performance/$. It all comes down to what your budget is, and if you're interested in high end gaming performance or just running FG.

Hey, guys.
    Just to let you know now I'm a aware that a player of mine is having the same issue.

The system frame rate matching change just went to Live channel. In this build, by default, the frame rate will match the system frame rate (defined by OS and monitor).
    To override, you can type "/vsync #" into chat window while tabletop is running. You should only use if you've reported an issue, and we've asked you to try some other settings.

Regards,
    JPG

I have users with let’s say less than ideal specs of laptops. Recently unity has been hammering my machine and theirs with GPU Max’d. Admittedly with 20+ NPC’s. I turned off LOS in the end and used masking until the encounter was finished.

I have tried /VSYNC 2 and I have noticed my machine is a lot cooler and I’m going to ask my players to do the same. Any reason this is an issue. Seems to be fine on testing.

I have gone from 80% GPU to 36%. I’m hoping some of the recent lag for my PC’s will be gone as my machine has more resources for servicing their connections.

Am I just not understanding correctly how limiting GPU usage, like this , affects the unity engine local and remote user experiencing sluggish performance issue. On initial testing user experience is improved with /vsync 2 in my laptop.

GPU intel HD Graphics 620 and i5 and 4K monitor

N.B. I would say reversing the locked refresh rate is a good thing. It added sluggish performance for me. Now it’s just 80% load on default /VSYNC and I can adjust.
    Last edited by EllivasKram; October 30th, 2020 at 23:50.

Thread Information