STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... Last

FGU using GPU at almost 100%

Hello,

I just bought FantasyGround Unity a days ago, and I'm surprised that, even if ti works ok so far, it's using around 90%-95%of my GPU (while my CPU is Under 60-65% load) most of the time, even when it's the only software running and I'm not doing anything with it (no window opened).

My Laptop is still a good one (HP Spectre), and I can play to games requiring a real use of the GPU for 3D computing.

So this is not making any sens for me.
    Are you aware of such issue ?
    I know that nowadays, developpers are making too much use of object oriented programmation in defiance of the old school optimization of their algorythms with standard variables resulting in loops making over use of object's methods, and ignoring all the processes going on behind those methods. Such approache makes them losing the big picture view of the overall algorythm.

Many thanks

I've been running into similar issues.

I have an i9 with 32GB of ram, and when running FGU I often end up with 7 cores at 100%, fans on full blast and really slow performance. This can be with just me using it to configure a campaign. Server version is 2020-04-17

I think they have done a great job getting the performance way down. See attached image, i launched it as "Run as Admin" and had multiple windows open. I even launched one as a GM and one as a player to see comparisons. Was running a combat with about 20 enemies as well.

FGU Run as admin, player and GM.JPG
    When the GM smiles, it's too late!

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMark View Post
    I've been running into similar issues.

I have an i9 with 32GB of ram, and when running FGU I often end up with 7 cores at 100%, fans on full blast and really slow performance. This can be with just me using it to configure a campaign. Server version is 2020-04-17
    A couple of follow-ups: 1) It sounds like you are running a laptop. Is this correct? 2) Are you using the integrated graphics or a dedicated GPU? Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, it is a laptop.
    GPU is a Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMark View Post
    Hi,

Yes, it is a laptop.
    GPU is a Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB.
    It has also an integrated card, maybe a Intel UHD Graphics 630, what pindecarl is asking you is if you are using the integrated video card or the Radeon 560x when executing the program.

Most programs run by default with the integrated card and you have to force them to use the other card.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaley View Post
    I think they have done a great job getting the performance way down. See attached image, i launched it as "Run as Admin" and had multiple windows open. I even launched one as a GM and one as a player to see comparisons. Was running a combat with about 20 enemies as well.

FGU Run as admin, player and GM.JPG
    It is best to not run applications "As Admin" other than for troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by lozanoje View Post
    It has also an integrated card, maybe a Intel UHD Graphics 630, what pindecarl is asking you is if you are using the integrated video card or the Radeon 560x when executing the program.

Most programs run by default with the integrated card and you have to force them to use the other card.
    Hi,

The system is using the Radeon for FGU.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    It is best to not run applications "As Admin" other than for troubleshooting.
    Yes, I agree normally, however from others posts they said running it as admin made it more stable and faster. I have since ran it normally and had similar results as when I ran it as admin.
    When the GM smiles, it's too late!

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaley View Post
    Yes, I agree normally, however from others posts they said running it as admin made it more stable and faster. I have since ran it normally and had similar results as when I ran it as admin.
    I read those posts. Personally I am highly suspicious that they had any type of evidence to support such a claim.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information