5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldson View Post
    Howdy Tzorn
    I do this, for pretty much the reasons you mention, using a MacBook (currently running Mojave) with 2nd monitor, and an Apple TV, which I set to one of the two screens.
    I use the first instance of FantasyGrounds to Host the campaign and keep this on my big monitor. I use the 2nd to Join the campaign, with "localhost" to connect, and keep it on my MacBook's screen and share that to a TV via Airplay. This works for me, but it does run my MacBook pretty hard, and occasionally crashes.

Adding to Sstarslayer's directions (which works), you can use Apple's Script Editor to create an App script that executes this for you. If your install is in the default location, the attached AppleScript App may work for you.
    I was trying to solve the same issue and this script works wonders.

Thanks.

Is it possible to have a different user in the second instance if FGU? I have one started as GM, and I would like the other started as player, but I'm seeing that they are using the same user name 'jasone' and am not sure that if that is causing the issues I see - one is that I can't create a character in the player instance (the one I started 2nd and joined the lan game hosted by the 1st instance (GM))

Thanks,
    Jason

No; the second instance on the same machine will use the same FG user name.

Regards,
    JPG

I think you would need a second install to run second instance as a separate user, with separate login and registration info. When I played around with this, switching users caused the updater to remove or reinstall. When I try to work this way, I run the second user as demo on a notebook computer, so I can have a different user name.

Blog Entries
    Username doesn't impact if the running instance is considered a host or a client. What it impacts is object ownership, like PCs and Notes. Because the username and login credentials are stored in the registry, you will need to connect with a second computer if for some reason you need a different username (but I don't see any reason to need this).

Many of us, including the devs, have been using a second instance with the same username for years and have not found a need (that I've ever heard of) for a different user login.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldson View Post
    I think you would need a second install to run second instance as a separate user, with separate login and registration info. When I played around with this, switching users caused the updater to remove or reinstall. When I try to work this way, I run the second user as demo on a notebook computer, so I can have a different user name.
    Thanks - I think I'll do this most of the time... or in a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Username doesn't impact if the running instance is considered a host or a client. What it impacts is object ownership, like PCs and Notes. Because the username and login credentials are stored in the registry, you will need to connect with a second computer if for some reason you need a different username (but I don't see any reason to need this).

Many of us, including the devs, have been using a second instance with the same username for years and have not found a need (that I've ever heard of) for a different user login.
    Thank you - yeah - it was ownership that I was having issues with - I think it is just as much as this is all so new to me and I'm trying to figure it out as anything to do with technical issues.... I probably cause them

I'll do a mix depending on what I am needing. Just trying to figure it out so I can teach those who we'll be playing with... thank you all for your help.

Wow!!! I'm trying for a days to solve the problem to record my sessions with the "player" view and this scripts corks fine! Thaks for it!!!!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Comunidad Fantasy Grounds Español
    https://discord.gg/W4Zm8FWmS2

Thread Information