DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Mongoose 1E 2300AD question

Hi.

I have been trying to make my own custom Traveller setup, but it's killing my spirit, so I am about to buy the Mongoose 1e package.

Does it have the ability to account for the specific 2300AD content?

Does it have character generation process built in? Does it have the 2300AD variety?

Does it account for things like Body Type, Homeworld Gravity, The new / modified skills, Core vs Frontier backgrounds / tables / skills, ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES (This is a major difference), the different mustering out (foundations), Different ranks by nationality, Core vs frontier citizen career, TRAITS, Different aliens = and turning 'off' any 1E aliens....

(And that is just character stuff...)

I know there are a lot of differences and changes, so I wonder if I can actually either modify it to do all that, or if it is already there. I want to know how much work I would be getting into?

Oh, and can I modify the theme? All that red kinda enrages me.

Thanks for any reply!

Hi.

So originally the author of the 1E ruleset (also does the 2E) was running a 2300AD game and wanted to make a 2300AD system. Unfortunately, Mongoose really wanted him to do 2E and not 1E so that sort of got shelved.

There is quite a bit of the 1E functionality in the ruleset and 2300AD was taken into account for damage types and armor. Most of the really specialized things for 2300 aren't really supported. Some of it could be custom added with modules but anything that needed to be done programatically wouldn't be.

Both of the Traveller rulesets are locked and cannot be unpacked or revised which would be a problem for any alteration.

That said, MadBeardMan might be willing to provide the information needed to make an extension of the 1E system to support 2300AD.

I would try private messaging him about it as he's a really great dude. If it's possible (licensing agreements and such) he'd probably help.

I tried messing around with CoreRPG and MoreCore again. They are too frustrating.

I just want the character sheet, I have the book, I just want a VTT that I can make a free character sheet with. I really don't care much for the automation, or the online reference. I won't buy this, because I will still need to edit the sheet. Even if they made a 2300 version, I still won't be running stock 2300, and will need something different.

I need a blank slate, easy to make character sheet that stores the player info I want it to have. I don't need someone trying to guess what I need, making a strangely complex sheet that I can 'edit with no code', because coding is easy, provided that your language is easy, and well documented. I may just not be 'getting it' but FG has a major flaw in my opinion. The character sheet is not simple. It should be based on objects, simple objects, and good docs. Right now I look at the XML file dev docs, and that is too complex for me to wrap my head around, and I think that is because there needs to be more simple docs for that, specifically for making a character sheet for example. On the other end, I can use the 'simple' making my own character sheet using the clever, but limited interface in CoreRPG, or the more advanced MoreCore. Problem with that is I want more control over how they look without having to either modify tons of files.

In other words, why couldn't HTML be used as a base for making the look / layout of the character sheet (and other things)? Something that would leverage the fact the many of us know it already, and it is easy to learn, and has tons of existing docs for?

Fantasy grounds seems great if you want to use / buy the existing work put into it, but is way to complex to modify. I think I will be moving on before I even start, saving my ultimate license for running by the book DdD games.

Quarantine fueled frustration sucks.

Hi,

2300AD is my real love amongst the many Traveller settings. I've asked a few times (perhaps you could say I've been nagging) Mongoose about coverting it. They have zero desire. The new edition of 2300AD is well underway but it was delayed until 2021 before the virus took effect. I'll ask Matt about it, see if I can get an earlier version just to look.

Both 2300AD editions are built on top of the Mongoose Traveller edition. So it's possible someone can modify something for a character sheet.

As you say it's not that easy, indeed, I've been working on FG stuff for 5 years and at times it stumps me. Though I do this part-time.

Once something 2300AD official comes out from Mongoose I'll be all over it.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I gave up on trying to get 2300 AD from Mongoose to work with FG after several months of hacking around with it. I went the MoreCore/GDW 2300 AD route and haven't looked back yet (as my players made it clear that they didn't want MgT2300, but GDW2300). I'm sure the 2300 AD stuff when it's released will be awesome, and I'll be all over it then, however.

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by GunbunnyFuFu View Post
    I gave up on trying to get 2300 AD from Mongoose to work with FG after several months of hacking around with it. I went the MoreCore/GDW 2300 AD route and haven't looked back yet (as my players made it clear that they didn't want MgT2300, but GDW2300). I'm sure the 2300 AD stuff when it's released will be awesome, and I'll be all over it then, however.

GBFF
    Hi GBFF,

That's why you've gone all quiet, sorry you couldn't stick around. I'm back now working on adding more to weapons/guns and stuff. The AP's have all been added.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Heya! I've got a whole module full of 2300 AD stuff for MgT that I had worked on...I'm hoping to come back when MgT2300 v 2 releases next year. Sadly, my players deemed that MgT2300 AD just wasn't the 2300 AD that they remembered, and begged me to find a way to run it (GDWs) in FG. No worries though...perhaps I'll hack around some more with it if the AP divisors work now...

Thanks!

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Hi,

Thanks for the attention, and activity on this thread!

It sucks that the company has no interest. Thanks for the info MBM.

GunBunnyFuFu, do you have a link to the GDW 2300 that you use? I'll try to dig on the Forum for it, but my first dive came up fruitless.

Thank you!

It's just a MoreCore character sheet. I've adapted the Shadowrun skills for my 2300 AD game, as I think they're more along the lines of what I wanted to see for my 2300 AD game. I can send you a copy of the sheet and extension so that you can have it as well.

GBFF

I remember briefly looking at 2300AD when it first came out. It had a certain character that separated it from CT of the era. The Imperium had always been just a little to big and what is around it was too defined. I liked that you could trade or explore or colonize. The map was also really nice, I remember using it for an alternate setting when mega came out. I never really synced with the 2300AD character generation.

It is sad, but understandable, that Mongoose wants to focus on new and shiny over older and more extensive.

Thread Information