FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargas View Post
    I would really, really like animated maps aswell, swaying trees, rivers, burning campfires... ...

So it is my greatest wish, with my newly bought ultimate, that this will come soon =)
    Welcome!

Vote for the idea on the wish list; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=125321

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargas View Post
    I would really, really like animated maps aswell, swaying trees, rivers, burning campfires... Just downloading them from youtube and then use in FGU would be sooooo nice. It is the one thing I feel is lacking in this product aswell.
    My limited experience with FG (ultimate license for about a month) is that it is very "game technical" with rule features like targeting etc. but not as easy on the immersion with the lack of animations and not being able to play sounds / music for the players (I saw some mod that I will need to try for this).

Without doing that much research I figured a new version VTT that was using unity would have all theese kinds of bells and whistles (maybe in time). But as of right now apart from the new LOS layer it feels like a product from early 2000.

I do not want to spend the majority of the time assigning targets, represent the correct various statuses and modifiers in effect and so on. I want the most time spent to be on storytelling, creating atmosphere and grabbing the attention of each player.

So it is my greatest wish, with my newly bought ultimate, that this will come soon =)
    I understand you But I think that this effect and targetting stuff also increases and improves the storytelling, immersion etc., because you need to care less about rules and calculations when the programme is doing that for you (while keeping the cool crunchiness ) That also improves accessibility of rulesets since it is easier to jump into games with different rulesets without the need to have an elaborated knowledge of the rules (as long as the DM has some knowledge)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 8th, 2020 at 04:13.

We will get there sooner or later.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

For me, the automation, the content, Smite Works customer service and even these forums are all factors that keep me using Fantasy Grounds.

However if I was a new player looking around at various new VTT's that are out, some of the features the other VTT's have would be hard to refuse such as animated maps and true LOS (darkvision/light source limits), the price for the GM version and not appreciating the automation value of FG.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBuckler View Post
    the price for the GM version and not appreciating the automation value of FG.
    Yeah, this is a huge factor, the pizzaz of stuff like foundry and lower cost of entry.

I don't blame people for thinking foundry will suit them better. But I would never direct a GM towards it for 5e or PF2e atm, it has a lot of flashy features or things that impress folks coming from R20 but if you have decent FG competency it is left in the dust from a campaign management and campaign play standpoint.

This said, if a GM doesn't use the various management features of FG, foundry is a perfectly viable and cheap way to run online. (I bought it, I use it to run simpler games and forbidden lands. It is a good VTT and quite flexible. Just not something I would run 20 levels of a campaign on let alone 10).

I second this. Having an animated map like this (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eLP...0K97SohjK/view) would make the game even more immersive. There are many artists making these video maps now and I would love to incorporate them. We can't really do in person gaming as much so this would be a way to keep VTT exciting! It's a bit disappointing that it's not in Unity but I am sure it'd be very complicated to layer and use tokens etc

Personally, I chose FG over other platforms over this platform's ability to create and/or modify adventures, rulesets, etc. I also found that the cost comparison played a huge role as well as the sourcebooks are much more expensive on other platforms vs the reduced cost of the material available on this platform. I am not really very interested in video maps....I am use to graph paper, roll out maps with markers and magnetic counters, so this platform works great for me....everyone in the group that I run loves this VTT.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCBoy36 View Post
    Personally, I chose FG over other platforms over this platform's ability to create and/or modify adventures, rulesets, etc. I also found that the cost comparison played a huge role as well as the sourcebooks are much more expensive on other platforms vs the reduced cost of the material available on this platform. I am not really very interested in video maps....I am use to graph paper, roll out maps with markers and magnetic counters, so this platform works great for me....everyone in the group that I run loves this VTT.
    Oh, my group and I love FG and we shopped around first. But, a good thing can be made better by adapting to new-ish technology. You may not prefer it, but more options on the platform will make different types of gamers very happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
    I second this. Having an animated map like this (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eLP...0K97SohjK/view) would make the game even more immersive. There are many artists making these video maps now and I would love to incorporate them. We can't really do in person gaming as much so this would be a way to keep VTT exciting! It's a bit disappointing that it's not in Unity but I am sure it'd be very complicated to layer and use tokens etc
    Make sure you vote for the feature request linked in post #11

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Make sure you vote for the feature request linked in post #11
    But where do we vote for a feature request tracker that has all the features that are already implemented cleared off of it

Thread Information