DICE PACKS BUNDLE

View Poll Results: How many Character points do you allow in new Campaign?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100 points

1 14.29%
  • 150 points

5 71.43%
  • 250 points

1 14.29%
  • Other, please explain in a post.

0 0%

Starting Characterpoints w. a new Campaign?

I am quite new to GURPS. I have read, GURPS since late 3e, but I have recently introduced my face to face group to the system.

And I am wondering how many Character Points is your standard when you start a new Campaign?

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

150 points is the standard for me. Sword and Sorcery type stuff. That's a fairly gritty, lower magic type campaign.

150 is the official starting point level. You can get a pretty competent character at that level, if you specialize, and are very efficient.
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Yes, 150 points is the official starting point level. Having introduced some new players into GURPS, we did use 100 point characters. First because it doesn't overwhelm newbies with stuff, and i have always liked the "accidental hero" kind of story.

This is kind of a "checking what you veterans use"... kind of deal.

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honken View Post
    This is kind of a "checking what you veterans use"... kind of deal.
    In that case, I think 175 is more common for us, unless we're talking DF/Action (which has the 250 starting point)
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

150pts is generally my preferred starting points, but it's very dependant on the genre you want to play. Most of the GURPS genre books have chapter on starting point levels.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

I've always used 150 points however when I converted to Gurps 4E they came out closer to 185. They had played a few times so they had some added points so I'd say the 175 mentioned by Gigerman is probably pretty accurate.

Also, I believe it does make a difference based on what your players want from the game. Some of us really enjoy the challenge of surviving at lower power.

Thread Information