5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

How do I differentiate Prepared spells from the rest in my spellbook?

I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of Fantasy Grounds for my players, so that they don't need to work through the somewhat obtuseness of the software mid-game, or on their own. Something I'm struggling with is the spellbook. Since adding and managing known and prepared spells doesn't have a built in process, I'm worried my players will already have enough trouble getting mixed up as it is, but I also cannot find a way to differentiate prepared spells from the many spells that are going to be in a spellbook. Do you need to create a new category in the actions tab and switch them all out manually, one by one, in their own labeled category? I feel like there has to be another way. Google search resulted in multiple threads of people mentioning a "prepare" mode for spells, but no such button exists in the action tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Caesar View Post
    I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of Fantasy Grounds for my players, so that they don't need to work through the somewhat obtuseness of the software mid-game, or on their own. Something I'm struggling with is the spellbook. Since adding and managing known and prepared spells doesn't have a built in process, I'm worried my players will already have enough trouble getting mixed up as it is, but I also cannot find a way to differentiate prepared spells from the many spells that are going to be in a spellbook. Do you need to create a new category in the actions tab and switch them all out manually, one by one, in their own labeled category? I feel like there has to be another way. Google search resulted in multiple threads of people mentioning a "prepare" mode for spells, but no such button exists in the action tab.
    Welcome to FG Dr Caesar.

Click on the button next to Mode at the bottom of the action tab until it says preparation. A list of tick boxes will appear next to each spell. Tick the prepared spells and then change back to Combat mode and only the prepared spells will now show in the list.

More information in these videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos (see video six especially)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Welcome to FG Dr Caesar.

Click on the button next to Mode at the bottom of the action tab until it says preparation. A list of tick boxes will appear next to each spell. Tick the prepared spells and then change back to Combat mode and only the prepared spells will now show in the list.

More information in these videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos (see video six especially)
    I did as this directed, but after preparing the spells and changing back to Combat mode, it continues to list all the spells in my spell book. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by neilwato View Post
    I did as this directed, but after preparing the spells and changing back to Combat mode, it continues to list all the spells in my spell book. Any suggestions?
    Welcome to FG.

Click on the magnifying glass at the end of any spell casting power group header and make sure there's a number in the prepared box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Welcome to FG.

Click on the magnifying glass at the end of any spell casting power group header and make sure there's a number in the prepared box.
    I was finally able to test this out tonight when our DM had FG running. Worked like a charm. I appreciate your response. Thank you! Just out of curiosity, I noticed that if I clicked on the magnifying glass on the 1st level row, and typed in a number, that number would also be present when I clicked on the magnifying glass on the 2nd level row. I changed it to 8 because that was the total number of spells my character had prepared, but is that how it works? Is the number you type supposed to be the total number of spells prepared, regardless of level?

Thanks!

Number of spells prepared is across all levels of possible spells known
    A 2nd level caster could prepare only 1st level spells one day and the next day decided to prepare only 2nd level spells and the next day a mixture
    Remember 1st level spells can be cast using higher level slots but higher level spells cannot be cast using lower level slots even if the lower level spells doesn’t gain any benefit from the higher level slot use

Quote Originally Posted by neilwato View Post
    I was finally able to test this out tonight when our DM had FG running. Worked like a charm. I appreciate your response. Thank you! Just out of curiosity, I noticed that if I clicked on the magnifying glass on the 1st level row, and typed in a number, that number would also be present when I clicked on the magnifying glass on the 2nd level row. I changed it to 8 because that was the total number of spells my character had prepared, but is that how it works? Is the number you type supposed to be the total number of spells prepared, regardless of level?

Thanks!
    It doesn't actually matter what number is in that box - as long as there is a number in it.

Thread Information