STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do I load the PF2 ruleset?

Hello, I am rather new to Fantasy Ground. We bought the Classic Ultimate license, and now I'm trying to set something up for my group. However, I'm confused: when I create a new campaign and go to Library > Modules, I am only offered the Pathfinder Playtest modules (besides the FG Battle Maps and the Calendar). The overview at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/...ndsClassic.php implies that the PFRPG2 rule set is included with the license, as well as "Pathfinder SRD libraries", but this does not actually seem to be the case. From skimming this forum, it looks like there is a difference between the "PFRPG2 ruleset" and the Core Rulebook DLC which needs to be bought separately. Is that true, and I am doing something wrong, or is the overview actually misrepresenting what you get?

I did check out the Playtest module, and it really is just the Playtest rules, not just something that's been keeping an old name. So, that isn't really helpful.

"Pathfinder SRD Libraries" at this point in time is only PF1 SRD content. There likely will be a PF2 SRD module in the future but that will still take quite some time. In the meantime, you could enter the data by hand (which I would not recommend) or purchase the Core Rulebook DLC (be sure to sync with Paizo to get at least the pdf price discounted). If not, I suggest contacting customer support for a refund.

Yes the ruleset is separate from the Handbook. You select the ruleset from the first window when creating the game.
    The handbook is sold separately.

You technically dont need the handbook. There is nothing to stop you entering all the data yourself (enter only the stuff you need).
    Getting the handbook though does make your life easier.
    I myself have entered all the stuff myself from the addon books. All the Deities from Deities and Magic, the races from characters guide etc etc. Each one only took me a couple of days and an advantage of this I now know the books inside-out

Oh the Bestary SRD in located in this forum Under extension. There is also a Parser in that extension post to help you enter in monsters.

EDIT: When I entered the information from the add on books I did it in a separate campaign, which I then exported as a module so I could use them in other games.
    Last edited by Willot; April 10th, 2020 at 21:47.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

OK, then. This could be made a bit clearer in the overview, I think. Well since I don't want to spend another 50 bucks right now on the Core Rulebook at the moment, I'll have to check out how the "enter it yourself" works. I have about 20 years as a developer on PCGen under my belt, so doing things like that will no be completely alien to me – I hope. Is there a tutorial?

No, I dont "think" there is a tutorial.

You can either build the characters on FG like you would build it on paper.

Or set up a module for the players to select thier ancestries and stuff. Copy the "formats" used in the PF playtest but use the information from the PF2 handbook.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

I meant a tutorial or documentation on how to build your own module.

The command is /export (typed in the chat bar). Then fill out the details, filename, module name etc. You can then tick the categories you want to include in the module. Then hit the export button.

This will create a .mod file, which is placed in your Module folder for your players to load and use.

As a side note .mod files are in fact just .zip files; so you can rename them to .zip files EG: MyModule.mod -> MyModule.zip, then use winzip or something to unzip them and look at the files in it.

Ah, very helpful, thanks!

I still feel I'm missing something. I checked out the thread with the community module, and in the thread for the module with the APG playtest classes, the author, kaernunnos, states "I did my best to copy the formatting of current classes in the PF2 ruleset" and that doesn't seem to refer to the PFRPG2.pak file in the rulesets folder, and it probably does not refer to the commercial files in the vault folder as well, as those are password protected and can't be unzipped. So unless kaernunnos is a part of the FG team, he probably does not have access to the XML source code data in the Core Rulebook DLC.

So I'm wondering what "current classes in the PF2 ruleset" is he basing this on?

I misspoke, I meant current classes in the PF2 Core Rulebook Module.
    I copied the formatting from the CRB classes as they appear inside Fantasy Grounds. I did this within FG itself, not by editing an xml file. The specific formatting I was referring to was the the way the text description is laid out on the "Main" as well as trying to match the "other" tab properly so the FG parser will properly automate the aspects that currently have automation, mainly adding abilities to the character sheet at the appropriate levels, adjusting starting saves and proficiencies, and properly showing in the tracker at the right levels that a feat can be added.
    There is just so much information there to manually add that the CRB and the Ruleset are almost synonymous in my mind. Just the 4 classes and limited spells and feats in the APG playtest document took me probably close to 20 hours to input, doing the entire CRB would take weeks of work. This could be faster if you wrote a parsing program to make the xml file in the proper format, but writing that could take just as long to work out the bugs.
    Last edited by kaernunnos; April 11th, 2020 at 15:11.

Thread Information