5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Are you starting in LAN/LOCAL or Lobby mode?

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    UDP 0.0.0.0:123 *:*
    W32Time
    [svchost.exe]
    UDP 0.0.0.0:500 *:*
    IKEEXT
    [svchost.exe]
    UDP 0.0.0.0:1802 *:*
    [FantasyGrounds.exe]

vs

UDP 0.0.0.0:49567 *:*
    [FantasyGrounds.exe]
    UDP 172.31.1.11:60602 *:*
    [FantasyGrounds.exe]
    UDP 172.31.1.11:60989 *:*
    [zerotier-one_x64.exe]
    UDP 172.31.1.11:60990 *:*
    [zerotier-one_x64.exe]
    UDP 172.31.1.11:62115 *:*
    [FantasyGrounds.exe]
    UDP 172.31.1.11:62119 *:*
    [FantasyGrounds.exe]

these are random at least from our side

My first one had been Lobby (Cloud/Public) mode, running the same command after loading using Server Type == LAN had same results (nothing listening on port 1802).

Blog Entries
    If you load FGC do you see it?
    Same command but tcp at the end

That does seem strange to me.
    Now if you launched FGU and started a local game, launched a second instance of FGU in local hosting mode it could not bind to 1802 because its already in use, even if you subsequently closed the first instance the second wont attempt a rebind.

Maybe a reboot?
    Maybe try changing to another port and retesting?
    try 18002 instead?
    you would then need t port forward that port and have your players also nominate that port.

The Cloud system uses a cloud-based network facilitation service (which opens several connections to the facilitation service). With this service, it will attempt to broker a connection automatically, and fall back to a relay if it is unable to broker a direct connection. You shouldn't need to change anything for this to work. Players must connect using the Join by GM Name option or Lobby entry only.

By choosing LAN, you are telling FGU you want to manage all the network connection management yourself (including port forwarding). We do not recommend this option unless you really want to figure out all the connection mechanics between you and anyone connecting from Internet. Players must connect using the Join by IP/Port field, and the GM needs to provide the IP/Port to the users.

Both options use UDP as the underlying transport mechanism; which should only be important if you're using LAN mode and trying to configure everything yourself.

Have you tried setting up a Cloud game, and having players connect by your GM name?

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the suggestions Damned, here are my results:
    1. Starting demo campaign from FGC demo version - I'm able to see FantasyGrounds.exe bind to TCP port 1802 (and connection test passes)
    2. Reboot - will be trying that after making this post
    3. Try different ports - I've attempted 1804, 9001, and 18002 and so far no changes from FGU
    4. Running multiple FGU instances on the same host for the same campaign - I receive an error message in the second game, but the error message makes it sound like it detected the first game via a database save point, not port conflicts. Here are the logs from that:

Code:
    [4/9/2020 9:51:56 AM] Launcher scene starting.
    [4/9/2020 9:52:02 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>]  Database restore point found. Saved as new backup file (C:/Users/Troy/AppData/Roaming/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/channels/Dev/campaigns/My First Campaign/db.backup.637220227225486227.xml)
    [4/9/2020 9:52:02 AM] Starting free mode.
    [4/9/2020 9:52:02 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
    [4/9/2020 9:52:02 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
    Thanks for chiming in Moon Wizard! So far no server types I've tried have resulted in any successful connections from other clients. I did try Cloud first (wanting to use the easiest option) but my game never showed up in the public lobby (when using public option) and searching by my GM name (public or private) of 'tsornson' or whatever I typed for my GM name when starting yields the error message "Cloud server with the requested name is not registered with the lobby server."

From everything I'm seeing, FGU seems to be hosting and starting up without binding to any port. Will try updating FGU and rebooting my computer and see if that works. If it doesn't, I may just try FGC instead.

Also, my FGU version is showing as v4.0.0 FREE (2020-04-04)

Blog Entries
    Have you verified that your license is being accepted/recognized? Check the top right field on the FG launch screen. If it says "V 4.0.0. <anything> Free" then you license hasn't been started and FGU won't enable your network connection.

EDIT: got distracted before I could post.
    Re-enter your license key

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Gosh DANG it, that was it! Thanks for pointing that out!

I recall having entered in the license and login info, but instead of hitting the save / login buttons, I hit the Update button which did its thing and then launched FGU. I later had to actually log in again, but didn't enter in my license info the second time, and thus I got into my state.

User Error, thank you so much for your time and help Damned, Moon Wizard, and Lord Entrails Hope this will help you figure out your problems Thail, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Sounds like a more debuggable behavior might be if the free version DID bind to the port but issued error messages in the GM chat log and popups to any clients attempting to connect that the license is insufficient to host the game. It's good that we got to the bottom of this, but many (most? something that rounds to all?) users would be flummoxed trying to debug this problems.

Blog Entries
    to be fair. its new to all of us. none of us are very familiar with the product yet. and in future the demo version will allow connections.

Thread Information