FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Exporting a map with LOS?

In looking through my FGU campaign data, it seems that all of the LOS data for maps are included in the overall campaign .xml. Another thing I note is that when I bring a map into a campaign, even if all LOS lines were made prior, or in another campaign, the LOS information is lost.

For example, in organizing my maps today, I deleted a small town map. When I brought it back in from assets, all the LOS data was gone.
    Another example would be if I am reusing a battlemap that I have created for a second group, when I bring that map into the second campaign, none of the LOS data comes with it.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've watched the video in the pinned file, and my map LOS data doesn't seem to be residing in the stated location.

I'm fairly sure that deleting a map will pretty much mean that the LOS will get deleted with it.

LoS information will only exist in the campaign that you create the LoS information in. It will persist only in that campaign for any maps in that campaign. If you export the maps into a module then any LoS information will also be exported and you can then open that module in another campaign and use it with LoS in that other campaign.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdigris View Post
    In looking through my FGU campaign data, it seems that all of the LOS data for maps are included in the overall campaign .xml. Another thing I note is that when I bring a map into a campaign, even if all LOS lines were made prior, or in another campaign, the LOS information is lost.

For example, in organizing my maps today, I deleted a small town map. When I brought it back in from assets, all the LOS data was gone.
    Another example would be if I am reusing a battlemap that I have created for a second group, when I bring that map into the second campaign, none of the LOS data comes with it.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've watched the video in the pinned file, and my map LOS data doesn't seem to be residing in the stated location.
    The LOS data is stored in the image record. In FGU, images and assets are two different data types. The asset points only to the graphic data, i.e. the source JPEG or PNG file. The image record contains references to assets, LOS data, token instances, etc. To move images between campaigns, you'll want to export the images to a module and then import that module into the new campaign.

Thank you both. Excellent answers and I know where to proceed.

Hi
    Is it possible to export a FGU map (multi layer) as an image file or a map that can be used with FG Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by mir View Post
    Hi
    Is it possible to export a FGU map (multi layer) as an image file or a map that can be used with FG Classic?
    I don't think so.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

No, there is no mechanism to render FGU maps to a single image file. The FGU images can be an amalgamation of many layers and graphics, as well as FX.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    No, there is no mechanism to render FGU maps to a single image file. The FGU images can be an amalgamation of many layers and graphics, as well as FX.

Regards,
    JPG
    I suppose you could fake it by expanding the image/map window all the way up and zooming out so that the map fills as much of the screen as possible and snapping a screenshot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Use GIMP to crop it and save as a jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The LOS data is stored in the image record. In FGU, images and assets are two different data types. The asset points only to the graphic data, i.e. the source JPEG or PNG file. The image record contains references to assets, LOS data, token instances, etc. To move images between campaigns, you'll want to export the images to a module and then import that module into the new campaign.
    I know that some assets come with line of sight pre-built in them, such a to create wall and debris. But when I export an image to which I've include LoS to a custom module, then if I add it back unto a new map from the asset's module's folder than all the LoS is lose. How could I then walled ships to only stamp new layers of them we the crew is encoutering them, instead of having all the boat always on the map? (Like I want to export those images with their LoS to use them as assets.)
    Last edited by Eriwan; December 7th, 2020 at 03:56.

If you export an image record to a module, then the LoS data is only in that image record in the module. If you load the module and open the image record that you exported, then the LoS data will be part of that image record. If you add the raw asset from the module, it does not include the LoS data, because it's just the raw image.

To include LoS data with the raw assets; it requires the LoS data to be transformed into a special LoS metadata file included alongside the image. That's what is done for published adventures to allow the modules to be used in both FGC and FGU; as well as to provide the ability for LoS to be added with the raw assets.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information