Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Breaking all the "rules" for a LFG post

I've read that the following is the important stuff, so here it is:

Time zone:CST (Americas)

Number of Players:1

Time of Day Available: 7PM and later

Fantasy Grounds License: I have Fantasy Grounds Ultimate

Term of game play: Not really sure what to put here

Voice/Visual: I guess I prefer video (feels more like the table experience somehow), but voice works as well

Game System Preferred: 5E

Game System Experience: Played 5E for about 6 months. Played D&D for 10 years in the 80's - 90's. not much has changed if you take an orbital view of it.

Fantasy Grounds Experience: I'm 3 weeks in and I've learned enough to add sound files to LMoP and run it

Character Type Preferred: No preference. I lean on the flaws to shape play, not the powers.

About Yourself: I'll start with the fact that I hate this is the last selection on the list. Above all else, I want to be a part of a group that gets along, has a lot in common, and looks forward to the next session. I don't think you get that by only matching all the filler above. I'm in my 40's. I played D&D religiously when I was a kid. I put it away for a long time, and I'm back baby. I work on airplanes for a living, I served in the military, I believe in personal accountability in all aspects of life. I'm new to this whole online TTRP thing. I'm hoping to find some people that share some of the same values I do and build some long lasting friendships. What do I like more than D&D? Beer and D&D. Beer, chips, the odd glass of bourbon, and friends. that's what I'm looking for. I have no idea how this post is going to go over. But I'm putting it out there because I truly believe the game hits another level when played with people of like mind. That said, I hope you all find THAT GAME!

I guess what I'm saying is, Don't the right players make the details negotiable?

Peace!
    Last edited by JetMD75; April 6th, 2020 at 09:05.

Along the lines of what you've noted:

Time zone:EDT (Americas)

Time of Day Available: 8PM and later

Fantasy Grounds License: Only have the demo licence, was waiting to find a group before investing in the right version.

Term of game play: ???

Voice/Visual: I'm okay with video as long as all player's bandwidth allows. I think voice is a must. Can use many different software for voice.

Game System Preferred: DnD5e, WoD, interested in trying most anything.

Game System Experience: Played DND actively from 1984 to the early 2000's. Took a hiatus for career, family, etc. Recently started up again with 5E, but the VTT group I played with fell apart due to some incompatibilities with the DM. Looking to play with players that are more of a like mind/maturity level.

Fantasy Grounds Experience: Very little, but am quick to learn the technology. Did Roll20 VTT, but I from what I've seen, Fantasy Grounds seems like the better choice.

Character Type Preferred: No preference. More interested in creating a rounded character and playing it (flaws and all) then trying to absolutely min-max everything.

About Yourself: Agree that this should probably be the first part of the list. Agree that I want to find a group that gets along, has a lot in common, and looks forward to the next session. The game is a shared experience so it's important that the players mesh. I'm in 46, approaching 47 in June. I started playing DnD when I was 11 with the DnD basic box (the red box). I went on to graduate to AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition. Vampire the Masquerade, Gamma World, Top Secret, Call of Cthulu, Amber Diceless Role Playing, to name a few. Some of my friends actually started their own game company (the now defunct Guardians of Order) and I played a number of different homebrew systems and games during that time. I had to put the games away for a few years while I focused on my career and family life. Now that my children are a little older, I'm able to commit to playing evenings. My preference is for Saturday evening after 8pm, but I can be flexible. I work as an ERP business software consultant for a living, after years working as the operations, finance and manager for a small soap and cosmetic products company for years. I share your belief in personal accountability. My interests include woodworking, movies (although I think the quality of recent Hollywood fare leaves much to be desired) and spending time with my family. In the short term, I'm not interested in DMing, but if the right group comes along after a few sessions to master the environment and get up to speed, I could potentially see myself swapping out occasionally with the group GM in the future.

Anyhow, I hope this is interesting to you and others in a similar position and that we can get a group going.

Thanks

Frank

Well met Frank! It sounds like you and I have some things in common. I chuckled a little reading about your opinion of recent hollywood entries. My wife is SICK of hearing that exact same thing from me

I am going to send you a PM so that we may stay in touch should this thread get buried over time. With any luck, we'll get a few others in a similar situation to join this thread and keep it alive.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to you both.

Just a note, you may not know yet, but FG has an extremely robust AD&D 2e "Classics" ruleset. This would be the same set of rules you both remember playing "way back when".

There are a lot of older people gaming with that iteration of the rules.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Welcome to you both.

Just a note, you may not know yet, but FG has an extremely robust AD&D 2e "Classics" ruleset. This would be the same set of rules you both remember playing "way back when".

There are a lot of older people gaming with that iteration of the rules.
    Thank you for the input JohnD. I'm not against playing the classic stuff at all, especially if I don't have to run it. I just don't own any of the literature anymore and I'm guessing that would take some purchases to play (unless the AD&D PH is free in PDF online or something)?

Blog Entries
    The PHB is not free, but if whoever DMs has it, then the book and the functionality will be shared out to all players when they are connected.

Edit: Here's everything that's available for the Classic ruleset; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...d=WOTC2EBUNDLE
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks JohnD. I'm not specifically hung up on any specific game system, I'm just looking for a compatible bunch of people to play with. As noted I've played so many different systems over the years that I'm more or less system agnostic, and I'm willing to learn. In my mind, it's about the story and having fun.

Just looked at the bundle. I had to laugh because I have most of that content sitting in a box in my home office next to me. I haven't cracked those open in ages.

Along the lines of what you've noted:

Time zone:EST

Time of Day Available: 7PM and later

Fantasy Grounds License: Just signed up for the basic version, have yet to use it.

Term of game play: Long/short term. I prefer to start and finish campaigns, unless the group is specifically doing one shots.

Voice/Visual: Prefer voice at the least, I use discord but am open to anything.

Game System Preferred: DnD 5e

Game System Experience: Played DnD 5e for a couple of years. I've been gaming since I could hold a SNES controller in my hands!

Fantasy Grounds Experience: Just starting out, but I learn technology very quickly. I've played on roll20 here and there. Hard to find a group of like minded individuals though and very rarely does anything go to completion.

Character Type Preferred: Depends on group composition, I am flexible. I'm use to playing melee "tank" characters. Fighter/Barb/Paladin, so I would like to try something new to me if possible.

About Yourself: I'm 28 with a wife and 2 kids in our own home. I manage 6 fast food restaurants as an area director and find myself with more time than I use to have. I never got the chance to play before 5E, though it always sounded fun and hardcore. My wife's uncle showed me his old characters from the red box (the ones that lived as his group would burn your character sheet if you died). I don't have a day preference, as long as its after 6pm I am almost always free. I've played mostly as a player but recently started to DM for a group of friends in person. I enjoy it a lot, but I find myself missing being a player in the game. My hobbies would include spending time with my kiddos and wife, playing some games on ps4/switch/pc, card games (poker anyone?) and searching for a dnd group! Hopefully this can come together, both of you gentlemen sound like people I will get along with and have a good time playing with.

Thanks

Vince

Vince,

Umm, isn't that still a thing? Burning your character sheet when they die? That's the reason I built the bonfire pit out back. Hell, I set ablaze last year's Christmas tree with a TPK. LOL

But in all seriousness, I'll send you a PM. I'll include Frank as well as long as I can figure out how to do it

Thread Information