DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Blog Entries

Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition Feedback & Updates

This will be the "official" thread to discuss Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition (BBSE). Patch notes will be posted to this thread as well.

First off, I was recently placed in charge of the entire B&B lineup, and I would like to take the time to thank @Atrill for all his excellent work developing Gold Edition, two adventures, then Steel Edition. @Atrill has moved on to other interests and has ceased development for Fantasy Grounds, and I wish him the best!

I was specifically instructed to update Steel Edition to 100% SWADE using the conversion guides from both Pinnacle and GRAmel. The Player Guide is (I hope) pretty much done. I haven't started SWADE-ifying the GM Guide yet, but since I pushed the BBGE patches, I had to push this work-in-progress as well to maintain consistency with the display name and library category changes.

GM Guide
    • [Fixed] Displayname and author text
    • [Fixed] Library category
    • [Removed] Adventure from the BBGE core book
    • [Fixed] Separate functional extension and theme extension

Player Guide
    • [Fixed] All data (I hope) is now converted over to SWADE
    • [Fixed] Displayname and author text
    • [Fixed] Library category
    • [Added] Missing Edges
    • [Fixed] Edges now indicate their correct type

Similar to BBGE, you'll now see two extensions. Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition contains the scripts to add the arcane backgrounds, remove the banned arcane backgrounds, and add the BBSE desktop decal. The Theme - Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition is just that -- a graphical theme, no scripting.

Thanks for doing all the above

I'm new and looking to get into B&B myself (SWADE). Which campaign modules can I buy from FG, that will work without conversion issues?

Blog Entries
    Extension
    • [Fixed] Shortened announcement text

Player's Guide
    • [Added] Poverty (Minor) hindrance was missing
    • [Added] 'Forbidden Hindrances' text to Hindrances list
    • [Added] 'Banned arcane backgrounds' text to the Edges list
    • [Added] Modified Stealth skill
    • [Fixed] All vehicles and the Vehicle list updated to SWADE versions
    • [Fixed] Renamed the following Hindrance: Code of Honor (Amazons) to Code of Honor - Amazons (Major); Code of Honor (Corsairs) to Code of Honor - Corsairs (Major) so they work with the Hindrances list filter
    • [Fixed] Modified Powers and New Powers refpages. Now mimics the layout in the SWADE Player Guide and each power is linked from its description
    • [Fixed] Skills now link directly to their applicable arcane backgrounds rather than the refpage
    • [Fixed] Cover art now uses an imagelink; removed text link
    • [Added] Added to Credits refpage: BBSE logo, SmiteWorks licensing text, and links to GRAmel and Fantasy Grounds websites
    • [Added] 'Fantasy Grounds Edition' refpage
    • [Fixed] Replace instances of Knowledge() skills with Academics
    • [Fixed] Heroes chapter of reference manual updated to SWADE Hindrances, Edges, and accompanying text. Updated layout to match SWADE Player Guide. All Hindrances and Edges linked in their descriptions.
    • [Added] Default Setting Rules refpage to Setting Rules chapter.
    • [Fixed] All refpages should (fingers crossed) be properly utilizing blocks now

This patch should bring the Player's Guide up to 100% SWADE, per GRAmel and Pinnacle's conversion guides. As always, feedback is appreciated if I missed anything. Now to start on the GM Guide...

Looking forward to that GM guide getting up to date. Do let us know when it's ready!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    Thanks for doing all the above

I'm new and looking to get into B&B myself (SWADE). Which campaign modules can I buy from FG, that will work without conversion issues?
    BBSE comes with "The Daughter of the Golden Scorpion" short (?) adventure, then the only two adventures @Atrill ever did are "Death of a Tyrant" and "Garden of Death." (Sure is a lot of 'death' in these! ) As always, all DLC will load just fine in both SWADE and SWD rulesets. Once I get the GM Guide and its adventure finished up, I'll give those two a lookover and see if anything needs to be tweaked, but they also need to be able to work in Golden Edition for those customers who have that and never got Steel Edition.

Thanks, that's great news Talyn.

Questions:

- What is the ETA (not rushin' you, just excited to know) for the GM Guide tweaks?
    - How will you manage those DLC's to be able to work in both Golden and Steel Editions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    - What is the ETA (not rushin' you, just excited to know) for the GM Guide tweaks?
    - How will you manage those DLC's to be able to work in both Golden and Steel Editions?
    No ETA, I literally just now loaded up the XML file for it. The GRAmel conversion guide is extremely short for the GM Guide however, so in theory I could have this finished in under an hour. However, I'll need to dig in and see what else needs to be 'fixed' first.

All the DLC have common data references, that's how we maintain compatibility between SWD and SWADE rulesets, and same will apply between BBSE and BBGE. The only catch could be if BBSE changed something that creates a problem for NPCs being able to play correctly in BBGE. I do see one potential 'gotcha' already but I don't know if this particular NPC was used in those adventures yet or not.

Hmm tricky.

Blog Entries
    GM Guide:
    • [Fixed] Category name for item, hand weapon and vehicles; all lists now populate
    • [Fixed] Moved the parcel out of the 'reference' node to avoid a script error
    • [Fixed] Adventure Generator link now brings up the story template instead of a list
    • [Fixed] Cleaned up adventure generator tables and text
    • [Removed] Encounters and Random Encounters links from Library
    • [Added] Common Knowledge d6 and Persuasion d6 to all intelligent NPCs per SWADE guidelines
    • [Removed] Charisma attribute from all NPCs
    • [Fixed] All NPC skills to their SWADE equivalents
    • [Removed] Romanticism Hindrance and Silly Edges (moved to Player Guide)
    • [Fixed] The following tables have had their read-only status removed: Dread Star Matter Weaknesses, Officer Skill Table, Relics of the Dominions (most useful for the latter as the GM can now choose to have the table output a parcel)
    • [Fixed] Various text updates for FGU compatibility

The Daughter of the Golden Scorpion
    • [Fixed] Various text updates for FGU compatibility
    • [Fixed] Broken links on NPCs
    • [Fixed] Updated NPCs per SWADE guidelines
    • [Fixed] Cleaned up certain chat frames in story scenes

Player Guide
    • [Added] Romanticsm Hindrance and Silly Edges from GM Guide. Each contains a note specifying that they are for the particular game mode if the GM is using it.

Gee. Sounds like you did an all nighter there! Well done.

Is there anything else to tweak or is this complete? Thanks again Talyn!

Thread Information