Starfinder Playlist

My only really big issue

My apologies if this is posted elsewhere and I missed it.

There appears to be quite a bit of lag point when using FGU. Some are predictable and minor, others are egregious for my players and I.

The lag when opening a menu is very annoying. With A few modules loaded opening up NPCs, Encounters, Parcels, Spells, or Items can take around 10-20 seconds sometimes. Same with creating a new category or a new record in any of these menus. Sometimes a bit less or a bit longer. This can be long enough for windows to think that FGU has stopped responding. Opening up a story pin on a map can take 4-7 seconds sometimes, or other times opening any of these is nearly instant. This lag is present with a group connected and playing or if I'm doing prep. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

And sure, sometimes the lag in the map is annoying as it takes a second or two for it to update, but with dynamic lighting that's not a deal-breaker for me.

I've been playing around with FGU for a while and recently ported my Strahd campaign from classic to Unity. I love FG and have for as long as I've been using it. I really hope there is some fix for the lag time though. One of the biggest things the baffles me is that my machine is a gaming rig, granted it's a few years older but it's still a respectable piece of equipment and it continues to run any AAA release I throw at it without lagging.

I am having the same issues. I was wondering if my computer (which is a quite decent gaming laptop) was getting too slow for this program, but since I can play other things without interruptions, I couldn't figure out why this would be the case.

At least it is good to hear that more people are having the same issues so I can stop contemplating of throwing my M´money at some new gaming rig just to keep playing D&D at FG.
    "Your focus determines your reality" - Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master

Blog Entries
    Performance is a know issue and is not planned to be addressed until stability and usability issues are resolved. You can search the threads here on 'performance' for more discussion.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

+1 I think this issue is the root cause for most instability we experienced in our last games.

I agree on how to prioritize performance but opening menus/tables is hogging the CPU so much that it is starving the client connections and causing disconnects or client de-synch.

I think this specific resource loading issue should be addressed.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

DMs Guild Creator

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately this is a known issue that we still have on our list to fix. It is a very high priority for us.

Here is a possible workaround you can use while we await fixes in this area:

New windows of data are slow to load initially but are normally very fast after the first usage. For this reason, launch your campaign and open as many of these as you can before you invite in players. When you go to access them during your live game, they should be much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Unfortunately this is a known issue that we still have on our list to fix. It is a very high priority for us.

Here is a possible workaround you can use while we await fixes in this area:

New windows of data are slow to load initially but are normally very fast after the first usage. For this reason, launch your campaign and open as many of these as you can before you invite in players. When you go to access them during your live game, they should be much faster.
    Yep, I was experimenting with that indeed. It does work... for the first page at least.

One exception to this is when changing groups, the latency is always present. My test case is: Stories (All) -> Stories (Acquisitions Inc Chapter 4) -> Stories (All)

Going to a second page (e.g. page 2 of X) is slow af as well
    Last edited by 4wire; April 9th, 2020 at 16:53.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

DMs Guild Creator

Am I dreaming or is it better if FGU runs with admin priviledges? I get less of the "not responding"...

DMs Guild Creator

Thread Information