DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do I import my Paizo purchases?

No, seriously. How is it that I have purchased Paizo's entire catalog of PFRPG first edition, and now instead of importing that information, I have to buy the data all over again through Fantasy Grounds? I mean, is SmiteWorks just that greedy? Does the import process not work worth a hill of beans?

Did I waste $150 for an ultimate license? This is putting me in a foul mood.

And please, tell me if it's just a matter of downloading the PDF and putting it somewhere that FG can see that, yes, I bought the ****ing book already.

How is Smiteworks greedy for asking for payment for their work of putting the data into FG? You paid Paizo for the PDFs. Great. That money doesn't go to Smiteworks. Now you can pay Smiteworks for their work.

Note that if you link your Paizo account with your FG account, you will get the full price of the PDFs discounted from the price of the FG products.

You can also add the data yourself for free. There are even community made tools to make it easier for you.

Blog Entries
    Taking a book and entering the data into FG format can legitimately take 100+ hours. Surely nobody will do that for free. If you have the time you can enter the data yourself for your own use as needed.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RivCA View Post
    No, seriously. How is it that I have purchased Paizo's entire catalog of PFRPG first edition, and now instead of importing that information, I have to buy the data all over again through Fantasy Grounds? I mean, is SmiteWorks just that greedy? Does the import process not work worth a hill of beans?

Did I waste $150 for an ultimate license? This is putting me in a foul mood.
    You don't have to pay for the data. The fee Fantasy Grounds list is for the data+compilation/data entry. If you have the PDF at paizo, FG will discount it by the full cost of the PDF.

FWIW, I paid to have the campaign I'm running imported and have been importing the flipmats and so on myself. That works for me and I'm not terribly au fait with computers.

One thing I've realised after the fact is that I don't really need to have brought the whole campaign in. We're playing a Starfinder Dawn of Flame campaign and are halfway through book three. In retrospect, I probably didn't need to pay to get all Alien Archives, All rulebooks and Books 1 and 2 of the AP. I probably should have just brought in the third instalment and manually entered the one item they've kept from one of the earlier books. By preloading absolutely everything, it does take AGES for Fantasy Grounds to open up the campaign and for players to be able to join. You live and learn...

EDIT: Also, I'm very new here so take this with a pinch of salt, but I don't think you've wasted your money. If it doesn't work the way you expected and you plumped for the full one-off fee instead of a monthly subscription, I believe there's like a thirty day opt-out policy if you email them and explain that you don't want to go ahead after all.

(As I say - I'm new and I don't have a link, but I believe I read that when I bought my license. It's not the kind of thing I make a note of, I'm afraid so I can't be certain).
    Last edited by Steve Geddes; April 5th, 2020 at 01:14.

Blog Entries
    Hi RivCA

As mentioned above you get credit for your PDFs against the FG store.
    When you buy the content here you are paying Paizo, Smiteworks and the Developer who did the conversion.
    You can read your PDFs and copy data yourself just as you would around the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    How is Smiteworks greedy for asking for payment for their work of putting the data into FG? You paid Paizo for the PDFs. Great. That money doesn't go to Smiteworks. Now you can pay Smiteworks for their work.

Note that if you link your Paizo account with your FG account, you will get the full price of the PDFs discounted from the price of the FG products.

You can also add the data yourself for free. There are even community made tools to make it easier for you.
    You’re right. I’ve had some time to cool my head, and the hard facts are that I didn’t research this. I shouldn’t be getting mad at SteamWorks and Fantasy Grounds, but what really sucks is that I don’t have time to import everything by hand as I’m an essential employee for my company.

I’ll keep the license purchase and figure things out for the next worldwide pandemic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RivCA View Post
    You’re right. I’ve had some time to cool my head, and the hard facts are that I didn’t research this. I shouldn’t be getting mad at SteamWorks and Fantasy Grounds, but what really sucks is that I don’t have time to import everything by hand as I’m an essential employee for my company.

I’ll keep the license purchase and figure things out for the next worldwide pandemic.
    You dont have to buy everything either.
    But a core rulebook and an AP.
    Add other things as you need them.
    Have your players chip in a few $$ if they want something specific.
    Go slow and buy it when it makes sense.

Scripts extract the data. You act like its manually done every time. No, this is someone who spent a few hours on a weekend to program it and just sits looking to make a profit. I'm glad I read this before I bought the license. I'll continue using roll20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsnbak0n View Post
    Scripts extract the data. You act like its manually done every time. No, this is someone who spent a few hours on a weekend to program it and just sits looking to make a profit. I'm glad I read this before I bought the license. I'll continue using roll20.
    No, its not.
    If you would like to try it out FG have a 30 day refund policy so you can test it out for yourself.

Thread Information