STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New user (FGU - cloud server) how long is too long to connect?

Hi

I've been trying to setup FGU for the last week or so in preparation for our first game this Monday. I've had no luck yet getting port forwarding to work, so am stuck using the cloud server which has been working okay once my test account gets connected.

However, I find it is taking ages both for me to Host the campaign and then for the test account to "find" it. By that I mean fifteen, twenty minutes where it looks like it's hung. So far, if I've waited long enough, it seems like it reliably works, however I don't really want to be without FG for the first twenty minutes of our gaming sessions and I'm worried it's going to take longer if all four of my players are trying to log in.

Is this just usual? Is there something clever I should do? (I know next to nothing about computers, so probably can't really do very much. But I do want our online gaming to go as smoothly as possible).

Cheers
    Steve

Blog Entries
    ITs not to be expected, but it is what it is right now during the beta. I believe it is the highest priority issue they are working on at the moment, but it is proving to be challenging.

If possible, try to have your players log in half an hour prior to game session. You can (hopefully) have your table up an hour or so before and they can connect at their leisure.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Maybe load less tokens. That makes a big difference in performance.

Thankyou both. I'll definitely encourage them to log in sooner rather than later, but we do have one guy running home from work and then joining, so that won't be a perfect fix.

I appreciate the tip about tokens. It's certainly the case that my initial approach was just "load everything" even the books with minimal chance of being used. I'm now being much more selective for the campaign and that has made a slight difference. I'm trying to work through the port forwarding thing, which may (?) help too, I guess..

Cheers

There are some networking changes at the moment, too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...845#post490845

So, you and your players may want to switch to the test server and test the connection there, maybe it improves?

Hi y'all!
    So... it's not broken if it looks like this for ages?
    screenshot2.jpg
    I suppose I'll come back later

Blog Entries
    Define "ages"
    2 minutes = keep waiting
    1000 years = not working

Not sure what the current expectation is. I do know of folks that have taken 20 minutes in the past. For me it's a minute or two at the most.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also the log looks fine - Game server started, Match successfully created on lobby. Weird.

Blog Entries
    I would reboot and then create a new campaign and see if it works. Sorry I don't have any other troubleshooting advice. If it persists, then you should post in the Playtest sub-forum the details and someone else or one of the devs can give better advice.

Thread Information