5E Character Create Playlist

Module Sharing Issue - Steps to reproduce.

I tested with 4 different people, with two of us hosting. Each time it was a Ultimate account host, with both Ultimate and Demo client connections.

The issue. After connecting to the host, no modules can be loaded except modules that the connected player already owns. If it was a 'shared' book, with the web icon, it would never load. Any book they owned, if it was shared by the GM, it could be opened just fine on their client. But no product or item they didn't already own could be opened, even if shared.

This happened on a Cloud connection.

We then connected using the IP address. Connected was faster. Once connected, the player clients could easily (and fairly quickly) open any item that the GM had shared.

After players all disconnected, I re-hosted the server with a cloud based connection again. They all connected fine. Now, those books were available to them. Further, they could freely load and unload any other shared item that the GM had shared for them to load.

At a guess, the cloud based connection never allowed a transfer to fully complete. And perhaps if one never completed, the vault or secured folder or whatever data space on the client is never fully established. After doing a direct connection, at least one item transfers properly, thus creating the storage structure for transferred items on the client side. After that, no matter how the game is hosted, the data structure exists properly in the client campaign folder for items to be shared properly.

Unfortunately, I didn't grab logs. But I hope this is enough info to reproduce this type situation.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

Sounds like connection issues, which are fairly common right now and Smiteworks devs are looking at them presently. See this thread for the details needed to make a complete report: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...hat-To-Provide

Well, I posted this separate because everyone connected just fine. The issue was with sharing data after the connection. And after connecting with IP, and sharing a file.... then the cloud connection worked fine also.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

Quote Originally Posted by i3ullseye View Post
    Well, I posted this separate because everyone connected just fine. The issue was with sharing data after the connection. And after connecting with IP, and sharing a file.... then the cloud connection worked fine also.
    It is a related issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Well, I posted this separate because everyone connected just fine. The issue was with sharing data after the connection.
    People call them connection problems for short, but they're really networking problems in general which can result in connection failure or failure to transfer data completely and successfully... which can manifest in a wide variety of ways... including failure to open books.

And after connecting with IP, and sharing a file.... then the cloud connection worked fine also.
    This is consistent with network transfer, aka connection, issues. The clients cache any data they DO successfully transfer. So if you make a direct IP connection, and successfully transfer the book to the client... it will get saved to disk on that client. When you then reconnect via the lobby system... you won't have to retransfer the book at all and any networking issues will have less of an impact, possibly no impact at all.

If you are able to connect directly via your IP, and if that is behaving more reliably, I recommend that you do so for the short term. As previously mentioned, the devs are working furiously on improving lobby connection quality right now.

Thread Information