DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Newbie confusion frustration with effects FGU

I am hoping someone can help me, because I am tearing my hair out. I've spent a couple hundred dollars on this software, and it just doesn't work well at all. (Long story short: two network admins couldn't get port forwarding to function in the classic version, so upgrade needed, and re-purchasing all the books for campaign...Sigh. You all know, I'm sure.)

For the last 10 days I have been attempting to get up to speed with FGU for a new campaign that can be held online due to the pandemic. And I am just flailing about trying to get things to work at a basic level. For example, I have a tiefling warlock with Hellish Resistance. I go to the Effects wiki, because for some reason this fancy and very expensive software does some math but not other math and one must somehow know which is which (yanks hair out by handfuls). I cut and paste the effect code for this very thing, and then test it, but it does not halve fire damage. I try variants:

Hellish Resistance;RESIST:fire --the thing listed on the Effects wiki
    Hellish Resistance;RESIST:fire; [SELF]
    Resist: fire
    RESIST: fire; [SELF]

Nothing works. I get RESIST: radiant to work with an aasimar character (yanks more hair out in frustration). I do not understand why the fire resistance doesn't work.

I'm trying to play with brand new D&D players here--they cannot remember all the things their characters have from the get-go, and I justified spending a gazillion $ by thinking that the automation will help. Does anyone here have any idea what I am doing wrong?

I really appreciate any assistance, and I'm supposed to DM this thing tomorrow *gulp*

Hiya Syntax,
    This should work, I think maybe you have had spaces or non capitals in the things you have tried ?
    RESIST: fire

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you Steve.

Sadly, no. I cut and paste what you wrote and it did not work. I cut and paste the code on the wiki (sometimes there are spaces there, sometimes not) and that didn't work either.

Please provide screenshots of FG with how you’ve set this up and also showing the results of damage rolls in the chat window where the effect is not being applied.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Syntax, Do you have Discord?

Jump on either the Official FG Discord here; https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt
    Or the FG College Discord here; https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

I'm sure someone on one of those servers can help you real-time.

Not sure your availability, but if it matches with mine I can walk you through it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Just posted there. And thanks for any input.

Thanks for the screenshot.

Has the effect actually been applied to Shavari in the combat tracker? Effects only work if they’re applied, and active, in the combat tracker.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

[solved]
    Thanks to Lord Entrails it now works! I had no idea I had to click something in the player sheet to activate it in the combat tracker. What great community support, I am impressed.

Awesome, glad you solved your problem

Thread Information