Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

TCP or UDP for Unity port forwarding?

I have read various comments on here that unity uses UDP for its ports and therefore you need ot saetup port forarding from your router using UDP, however the wiki states it uses TCP

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...to+Join+a+Game

Can somneone clarify which protocol Unity uses

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erithian View Post
    I have read various comments on here that unity uses UDP for its ports and therefore you need ot saetup port forarding from your router using UDP, however the wiki states it uses TCP

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...to+Join+a+Game

Can somneone clarify which protocol Unity uses

Thanks
    I can 100% confirm it is UDP. That TCP blurb is a holdover from Fantasy Grounds Classic. Alternatively, if your router is capable, you can set it to TCP/UDP or Both - then it will work for FG Classic and Unity without any other changes (in theory). Hope this helps.

So FGU does not care about possible transmission errors? TCP should at least be optional then.

I thought it was but wanted to check, so thanks very much for the quick reply - you might want to update the wiki

I still cant connect directly though even though im port forwarded on both TCP and UDP - so frustrating.

have posted in the connections thread with my files.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    So FGU does not care about possible transmission errors? TCP should at least be optional then.
    This was raised with the developers already and they're using reliable UDP libraries. Basically error checking, packet reassembly and re transmissions ("stuff" TCP would do at the transport layer) are handled at the application/presentation layer instead in the application network libraries.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by erithian View Post
    I thought it was but wanted to check, so thanks very much for the quick reply - you might want to update the wiki

I still cant connect directly though even though im port forwarded on both TCP and UDP - so frustrating.

have posted in the connections thread with my files.

Thanks
    I'm not on the team, just a community member that tries to help with the relatively little I know - mostly knowledge gained from experimentation, screwing things up, or searching the forums myself. Point being, I'm not the one to update the wiki. You're right though, it should be updated!

As far as you connecting directly, are you a player or GM? The way you worded it sounds like you're a player trying to connect. If so, you don't need to do anything besides make sure FG (Unity) is allowed through your firewall - in theory anyway. Only the GM needs to do the port-forwarding. If you're the GM, ensure you're using your "external ip" when giving it to your players, your firewall allows FG (Unity) through, you're set to Private network, and your port forward stuff is correct. If none of that is the issue, then yes, the connections forum thread is your best option. Hope you get it sorted quickly!

Hi
    Im the Gm but i have a laptop connected via mifi to check connectivity etc. It mean';t i could play around with the settinge etc before unleashing it on my players.

As it happens I think I've solved the issue now. It seemed to be a combination of my sky router and eset antivirusneither of which seemed to want to recognise the rules i had entered. One i had confirmed that the port forwarding was correct i ended up disableing the antivirus firewall too. Finally i managed to connect indicating it was the firewall. So it looks like the manual rule i wrote wasn't recognised. Luckily i was able to use the learning mode, reconnect again and then it automatically wrote a new rule for the firewall. So far fingers crossed it seems to work - although frustratingly i have no idea why it now works.

Thanks for the offer of help though.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This was raised with the developers already and they're using reliable UDP libraries. Basically error checking, packet reassembly and re transmissions ("stuff" TCP would do at the transport layer) are handled at the application/presentation layer instead in the application network libraries.
    Good to know, albeit one has to wonder why not to use TCP to begin with then?

Because most network game libraries are only available via UDP; or else we have to write our own network facilitation system from scratch.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information