DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Alias with FGU

Alias with FGU

I was wondering if the alias system allowing not to reveal one's IP address will be available on FGU, for those wishing to keep on using local games...
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Blog Entries
    All your player has to do is check netstat and they know your IP...
    In a true peer to peer the other side will always know your address Im afraid.

Well, I don't mind my player seeing my IP. It's just that it changes regularly (due to my ISP). The alias is a great way to avoid changing the Numbers...
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Blog Entries
    Use the lobby and if you have the port forwarding setup they will be pushed that way almost like the alias.
    Or thats how it should work...

Or use some dynamic dns service.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheels View Post
    Well, I don't mind my player seeing my IP. It's just that it changes regularly (due to my ISP). The alias is a great way to avoid changing the Numbers...
    The GM name (as in the forums) is the alias in FGU Use that to connect to the host's game (or tell your players what your name is in the forums )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    The GM name (as in the forums) is the alias in FGU Use that to connect to the host's game (or tell your players what your name is in the forums )
    This doesn't work for "Local" (direct) connections. The GMs name will only work for cloud connections.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Say, would it be feasible for LAN hosted to be published to the lobby? That way the LAN folks still get the direct connections from players to GM (thus doesn't have to be brokered by FG's servers), but you don't have the "what is your IP" or "what is your IP today" questions. Leave the public/private radio button so that the folks that really want to be dark don't have to publish to the lobby. Net result is that the lobby could control whether it has to draw the connections to FG's servers, or point them directly to the GM machine. (Even better if the player machine could also get the internal IP, and test if it is reachable so that the LAN connection wouldn't have to hairpin via the user's firewall... or perhaps avoid brokering through FG.) Probably some edge-cases in there that may need some more thought on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Say, would it be feasible for LAN hosted to be published to the lobby? That way the LAN folks still get the direct connections from players to GM (thus doesn't have to be brokered by FG's servers), but you don't have the "what is your IP" or "what is your IP today" questions. Leave the public/private radio button so that the folks that really want to be dark don't have to publish to the lobby. Net result is that the lobby could control whether it has to draw the connections to FG's servers, or point them directly to the GM machine. (Even better if the player machine could also get the internal IP, and test if it is reachable so that the LAN connection wouldn't have to hairpin via the user's firewall... or perhaps avoid brokering through FG.) Probably some edge-cases in there that may need some more thought on.
    If you have LAN working but you use Lobby you will get the game published and the broker will tell the clients to direct connect.
    Either way, this way, direct connect or using a dynamic dns, anyone that knows what they are doing can find your IP address in 5seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This doesn't work for "Local" (direct) connections. The GMs name will only work for cloud connections.
    Aah, thanks for clarification I indeed thought that is a complete replacement of the alias system, also for the port-forwarding option

Thread Information