5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

How to Migrate a FGC Campaign to FGU

(Note, campaigns can not be migrated from FGU to FGC, it is a one-way upgrade process only.)

Finding your Campaign Data
    To start with, you need to know where your FG data is stored. We will call these two locations <FGC Data> and <FGU Data>, one for classic and one for Unity.
    The FGC data folder can be found from the FGC launch screen, it is the folder icon in the top right corner.
    Screen Shot 04-02-20 at 07.50 PM.PNG
    The FGU data folder can be found from the FGU launch screen, it is the folder icon in the top left corner.
    Screen Shot 04-02-20 at 07.51 PM.PNG
    Inside the Data Folder is a ‘campaigns’ sub-folder. Inside that is a folder with the names of each campaign.

Migrating the Campaign Data
    While FGC and FGU are not running, copy (don’t move) the ‘<FGC Data>/campaigns/<your campaign name>’ folder to ‘<FGU Data>/campaigns/<your campaign name>’
    Start FGU and Host Campaign to access your migrated campaign!

Be Warned

• All players must have a FG forum account to join an FGU game
    • Expect to have to Clear Ownership on the PCs as it is likely the player name will have changed since the forum username will be used.
    • Expect Player notes to have to be re-done because of the player name change. To do this, it is easiest if the player creates a new note and the GM then copies the contents from the old note to the new note (and then delete the old note).
    • Image mask data will be lost when migrated. For technical info on why and a work around, see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post550539
    • Image "Drawings" will be lost when migrating. FGC and FGU use different architecture for storing the drawing information and are not compatible with each other.

More Info:
    FGC Data Files Overview; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Files_Overview
    FGU Data Files Overview; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Files+Overview
    Last edited by LordEntrails; March 18th, 2021 at 01:53.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

When I copy the folder into the appropriate area for the FGU it oddly doesn't have the most recent campaign data. Instead it is from awhile ago. When I open the campaign in classic the characters, and other changes are "up to date". If I'm copying a campaign folder from one to the other where is it pulling this old data from for the Unity version?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf411 View Post
    When I copy the folder into the appropriate area for the FGU it oddly doesn't have the most recent campaign data. Instead it is from awhile ago. When I open the campaign in classic the characters, and other changes are "up to date". If I'm copying a campaign folder from one to the other where is it pulling this old data from for the Unity version?
    The only thing I can think of is your are not pulling the most recent campaign data.

Did you open your campaign folder from the FG Data folder icon on your FGC launch screen?
    Are you sure you have the correct campaign name?
    Check the file modification dates, do those match what you expect?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The only thing I can think of is your are not pulling the most recent campaign data.

Did you open your campaign folder from the FG Data folder icon on your FGC launch screen?
    Are you sure you have the correct campaign name?
    Check the file modification dates, do those match what you expect?
    I rechecked and it was user error on my part. I had an earlier campaign that I had grabbed instead. It now appears to be working correctly, except one of my player's character/token icon is missing. The others are there, just not his. Looking into that.

Also when I start up I get this message on load, which is I'm guessing the missing character/token icon?

[4/20/2020 2:49:51 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-17)
    [4/20/2020 2:49:51 PM] Launcher scene starting.
    [4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Daily session backup created.
    [4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Starting private server mode. [(10.10.251.175:1802) (fe80::3984:1d67:f05d:85e2:1802)]
    [4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Game server started. [10.10.251.175:1802]
    [4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Launcher scene exiting.
    [4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Tabletop scene starting.
    [4/20/2020 2:50:55 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic Load: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

It was that the original token/image was in .PSD format, which Classic could read but Unity can't apparently.

Changed it to .PNG and it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf411 View Post
    It was that the original token/image was in .PSD format, which Classic could read but Unity can't apparently.

Changed it to .PNG and it works.
    Good work. Happy gaming!

Hi Guys, Additional with the migration, will I need to copy across other things from my FGC data folder to the FCU folder? I'm refering to things like my tokens, portraits and/or characters as well ? Thanks.

If you have images and tokens that you created yourself or that exist as modules in your modules folder then, yes, you'll want to copy those across. Characters in the campaign are in the campaign data so they'll come with the campaign, but if you have charcaters from other campaigns that you want to use in Unity then you'll want to export those from the campaigns they are in and import into Unity.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks Zacchaeus!

Hello! Thanks to LordEntrails for pointing me to this thread from my other inquiry about running FGC and FGU on the same computer.

Quick question: As i am simply copying the FGC campaign for migration to FGU, i assume that the campaign will still run as normal using FGC?

Thanks,
    Shimrath.

Thread Information