DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Extension upload speeds to clients

I've noticed extensions really upload to the clients slowly....every time one gets enabled (or updated) its quite the slow down as we all have to wait. The client only seems to want to send those files at 24-32 kbps. Images and everything else upload much faster(what would be normal for the given connection speed). Why are extensions behaving this way?

Thanks,
    BK

Which client are you talking about FGC/FGU?

Also, on both platforms, the files are all transferred using the exact same method? What makes you believe that the images are transferring faster than extensions? (Also, note that extensions can contain many files, whereas an image is a single file.)

Regards,
    JPG

FGC (sorry for failing to include that)

I'm watching the Windows resource monitor for the transfer rate by connection(which is shown listed under the app when you expand it). Which also lets me see exactly what is being sent to each client and the rate. It's an extension file being uploaded that it's only being sent at 24-32 kps. Which isn't a big deal for many extensions but a few are a few MB in size(Combat Enhancement for 5e for example is 7+ MB) * each client, can take 20ish minutes.

I did not check the transfer rates for image files but most of them are many MB in size yet everyone gets them in 30ish seconds usually. Which is reasonable so I didn't continue to monitor.

The only other thing of note is one player reported some sort of error where the same extension (listed by the name) was failing to download repeatedly. However it did eventually download to that person. I don't know where he was getting that information(FGC log window maybe?).

It's only when extensions get updated so knowing that I can work around it but still, I thought I should let you know...there's definitely something funky going on there.

BK

Thread Information