STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Noob Question about Temporary Ability Damage

Hello,

Only question to come out of our trial run last night - If a PC casts a spell that reduces ability score (i.e. Ray of Enfeeblement) on an NPC, how is that applied to the NPC? I couldnt find in the combat tracker a place to reduce the strength score, and ended up manually using a modifier for each roll that it was applicable to, but didnt know if that was the best way...

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Not sure... Did you try to apply the correct effect to the NPC such as "STR:-2" ?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not sure... Did you try to apply the correct effect to the NPC such as "STR:-2" ?
    No - I checked the effects but didnt see one that is applicable. I am assuming that would be a custom effect? If so, would that be a -2 to the score, or to the modifier?

Thanks

[edited... stay tuned -- sorry see below]

Last edited by tahl_liadon; March 30th, 2020 at 19:38.
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

Quote Originally Posted by Terenn View Post
    No - I checked the effects but didnt see one that is applicable. I am assuming that would be a custom effect? If so, would that be a -2 to the score, or to the modifier?
    See the "Abilities" section of the Modifiers table here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ects#Modifiers

STR applies temporary damage (if it's negative) to the ability score. STR:-2 is 2 points of STR damage.

Note: In PF1 you don't actually apply temp damage directly to the ability score, instead every 2 points of damage results in a -1 modifier. Hence STR:-1 doesn't do anything, STR:-2 or STR:-3 results in a -1 penalty, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread necromancy.

How would I have FGC roll a random amount of ability damage?

A PC picked up a weapon that does 1d4 Dex damage 7/day.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.
    Last edited by mhossom; July 26th, 2020 at 19:47.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Thread necromancy.

How would I have FGC roll a random amount of ability damage?

A PC picked up a weapon that does 1d4 Dex damage 7/day.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.
    There is only the manual way (so manually roll d4 and then add the effect with the correct number) But I remember that you once asked a question about my extensions: When you use any package where save versus tags is contained (or the extension itself), then use DEX: [-1d4] (but it needs to be applied from an actions tab to make it work When it worked you should see that [-1d4] is automatically replaced with some number (no physical die for that though))

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    There is only the manual way (so manually roll d4 and then add the effect with the correct number) But I remember that you once asked a question about my extensions: When you use any package where save versus tags is contained (or the extension itself), then use DEX: [-1d4] (but it needs to be applied from an actions tab to make it work When it worked you should see that [-1d4] is automatically replaced with some number (no physical die for that though))
    I made it work with this effect:
    ABIL: -1d4, DEX;

Only problem is that I can only apply it once. After that FG tells me that is already applied and will not apply it again. I will probably just use the manual method for now.

Sadly, I need to keep Naval Combat enabled due to playing through SKull & Shackles and can't use your extension at the same time.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    I made it work with this effect:
    ABIL: -1d4, DEX;

Only problem is that I can only apply it once. After that FG tells me that is already applied and will not apply it again. I will probably just use the manual method for now.

Sadly, I need to keep Naval Combat enabled due to playing through SKull & Shackles and can't use your extension at the same time.
    Ah, I see I think the remove effect extension then works: There is the STACK: operator which allows to apply the same effect more than once So, STACK: ABIL: -1d4, dexterity or STACK: DEX: [-1d4] (the latter in my extension, because it would not apply the same effect twice when the same number is rolled)

By the way ABIL: -1d4 rolls always the d4 each time when the ability is rolled, and it is only applied for ability checks. So, when you stick with the manual method, then I would suggest rolling the d4 manually and then apply DEX: -[whatever you rolled]
    Last edited by Kelrugem; July 26th, 2020 at 21:49.

Ahhhhh!! I didn't know that about ABIL. Looks like we will be using the manual method for now. Not a big deal. That player is my son and he insist on rolling real dice anyway.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Thread Information