DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Merge 2 Modules

Merge 2 Modules

Is there a way to merge 2 different modules into one new module?
    I started out trancoding a book in CoreRPG, but then loaded it into a Setting specific rpg as a module and did a few edits in it and created a bunch of items and tables. I
    Ultimate License Holder
    Systems:ALIEN, Savage Worlds (SWADE + Companions, 50 Fathoms, Interface Zero, Realms of Cthulhu), Call of Cthulhu 6th, FIASCO, Paranoia XP

FG Con 16 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Friday April 16th to Sunday April 18th, 2021
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

You can open a module in a new campaign, copy everything from the module into the campain and then close the module. You can then do further editing and additions and then export that to a different module.

However it is far easier to do your edits and additions in the original creation campaign.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

I am attempting to combine two modules using your suggestion Zacchaeus. I tested with a custom encounter linked to an image. I created a module from a player campaign and loaded it to a new "master" campaign that I would like to use for all edits moving forward. I have an encounter I created in the player campaign using NPC's from the official DLC and an imported image. That encounter does execute properly in the master when I have the module loaded. If I unload the module, the encounter will not execute as expected.

I created copies of the image and encounter in the master campaign. Then from the master I exported a module with "Encounters, Images, NPC's and Story". I created a new test campaign, copied the moduledb folder, and loaded the newly exported module from the master campaign. I can see the copied content (I left copy in the name to be sure) such as the image (LOS is there) and the encounter.

The issue is when I click the down arrow on the encounter to add it to the combat tracker, FGU tells me "A module you are attempting to use is not loaded" and it states the name of the first module I created from the player campaign. Since I "copied" the encounter out of that module and into my master campaign, then exported and loaded the master module into a test campaign, should it no longer need the first module created from the player campaign?

D&D 5e using the official Players Handbook, Monster Manual, and Curse of Strahd.

Thanks,
    Last edited by JohnShleproc; November 14th, 2021 at 08:14.

If you have linked stuff then making a copy of that won't change the link; by that I mean it doesn't change where the link is pointing. So once you have copied what you want to copy you'll need to redo any links in the copied material before exporting otherwise the links will still be pointing to wherever they were pointing before they were copied.

And welcome to FGU
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can open a module in a new campaign, copy everything from the module into the campain and then close the module. You can then do further editing and additions and then export that to a different module.

However it is far easier to do your edits and additions in the original creation campaign.
    I don't understand what you mean by copy the module into the campaign. Do you mean copying the .mod file into the folder FGU/campaigns/MyNewCampaign/modules? Should I first unzip it? Could you please maybe provide a link with further info? It seems I need to manually merge two XML files together, as the id-element must be unique across the whole XML file. So when copying e.g. tables from one XML file into the other, they will have overlapping ID ranges.

Manually correcting all IDs is currently a LOT of work for me.
    An XML schema (XSD) would also be a great help on editing the XML. Are these publically available?

Any help on this appreciated.
    Last edited by Phoenix_133; June 24th, 2022 at 20:11. Reason: Idea for possible solution

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_133 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by copy the module into the campaign. Do you mean copying the .mod file into the folder FGU/campaigns/MyNewCampaign/modules? Should I first unzip it? Could you please maybe provide a link with further info? It seems I need to manually merge two XML files together, as the id-element must be unique across the whole XML file. So when copying e.g. tables from one XML file into the other, they will have overlapping ID ranges.

Manually correcting all IDs is currently a LOT of work for me.
    Any help on this appreciated.
    Welcome to the FG forums.

The post from Zacchaeus was referring to copying records within a FG campaign - not doing anything within XML. See "Making a Duplicate Data Element" in the Managing Campaign Data Wiki page here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ifferent-Group
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe,

thank you for your swift answer and clarification. I now understand, that his problem is not related to mine.
    But maybe you could point me into the correct direction?
    I am trying to merge two modules into one. Both models have custom random tables, aswell as images inside. So I guess the only option there is to manually merge the two XML files into one? Then my problem with the unique XML id elements exist, as mentioned above. Is there any way of automating the merge? I have some 300+ random tables and don't really want to adjust the IDs manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_133 View Post
    Hi Trenloe,

thank you for your swift answer and clarification. I now understand, that his problem is not related to mine.
    But maybe you could point me into the correct direction?
    I am trying to merge two modules into one. Both models have custom random tables, aswell as images inside. So I guess the only option there is to manually merge the two XML files into one? Then my problem with the unique XML id elements exist, as mentioned above. Is there any way of automating the merge? I have some 300+ random tables and don't really want to adjust the IDs manually.
    There's no automated way.

If working in the XML you could try doing a find/replace in one module's XML - replacing id-0 with id-1 which will give you a very high ID range that is unlikely to clash in the other module. For example, id-00002 would become id-10002. Doing the find/replace should also update any links within that module - as long as they are purely links within that module; if they are links to other modules then you may have to get creative with some regex replace, if the editor you use supports that. Then you can merge the data and it would be unlikely you get any clashes.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 24th, 2022 at 21:15.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe,

Thanx for the quick reply and idea. Will try it out, tomorrow.

Thread Information