DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Character Sheets

Hi,

I am a little disappointed with the charter sheets. I like the fact that in Roll20 the character sheets are designed to look like an official paper character sheet. Is it possible to do this in FG? I'm using FG Unity and a newbie?

Thanks

Gareth

A change like that would require creating an extension and coding out the look you were hoping to achieve. The coding base would be xml and lua.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gpbuk1 View Post
    Hi,

I am a little disappointed with the charter sheets. I like the fact that in Roll20 the character sheets are designed to look like an official paper character sheet. Is it possible to do this in FG? I'm using FG Unity and a newbie?

Thanks

Gareth
    Give it a test with open eyes. Make sure you spend a little time learning character building and usage in FG and I think you will like it.

To reiterate what damned said, give it a shot. While it might be hard to deal with the change initially, I think you'll come to appreciate it. I was the same way years ago. One of the advantages of how FG does their character sheet (as opposed to mimicking the pen and paper sheet) is that you get a much smaller profile for your character sheet. I have two 28 inch monitors and I still wish I had more desktop real estate and having the character sheet a bit smaller is appreciated when I want to maximize the map, have the effects open, the conditions, and even the combat tracker. Periodically, I will also open the party sheet. If I had a much larger character sheet, I would have to start stacking windows on top of each other (which is what I had to do in Roll20 back when I used it). I personally don't like having to stack windows on top of each other.

The point is that there are advantages and disadvantages to each style. If you look at FG without the lens of comparing it to a particular format, you will likely also see the advantages that its style gives. By no means am I trying to convince you that one is better than the other - only that each presents its own benefits and downfalls.
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

OK will do. I'm basically learning 5e so I can play adventures in Middle-Earth. How easy would it be to convert a 5e charcter sheet to an AIME one?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Give it a test with open eyes. Make sure you spend a little time learning character building and usage in FG and I think you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbuk1 View Post
    OK will do. I'm basically learning 5e so I can play adventures in Middle-Earth. How easy would it be to convert a 5e charcter sheet to an AIME one?
    All it would require would be to learn how to use the lua and xml scripting languages and create an extension to do it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I think their is already a community extension for AiME... Look at this comment from Valerian https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post465163

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

While we are on character sheets, is there any plans to host character sheets outside the running instance of a game so that players can review, tweak or manage notes. I know you can export but that requires the GM to do a lot of work and sometimes you finish late and everyone just wants to go to bed.

Blog Entries
    No, where would those character sheets be hosted? FG doesn't run game servers, you do when you start FG on your computer. Then how would that character sheet be sync'd with the one on the GM computer? And what if both were modified?

Not that such challenges couldn't be overcome, but its a pretty small quality of life improvement.

I forget how it is done in FGU, but players can still get to their character sheets when offline from their GM, but it does require a process.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

While it would require a storage location it would really be fairly passive in functionality so not so much a game server but a storage server that was integrated with the engine to treat the location as an end point for file operations (think of a distributed file system). We can sort of mimic this manually but it requires coordination and the GM has to do the export. It was just a thought as I have seen this pattern used in other software systems. Thanks

Thread Information