Starfinder Playlist

Converting external tile sets purchased on another TTRPG

I purchased a bunch of tile sets by Gabriel Pickard on "a popular online TTRPG platform" and they are downloadable for personal use once purchased. I don't want all that to be wasted, so, I should be able to use them in my FGU campaigns and add LoS, etc.

Has anyone converted tiles they purchased from this source? I cannot seem to find a thread about this. If there is one, please let me know.
    If nobody has done this yet, I'll update this thread as I figure out what I need to do.

FWIW, I follow a lot of FGU news and I haven't seen anyone outside of Smiteworks talk about adapting their own tilesets. You may be out in front on this if no one else chimes in. I'm certainly interested to hear what you find, though. I also have some tilesets lying around that might consider manually importing if the process is reasonable and works well.

Do you mean adding LOS? If so that is possible to do within a campaign. But it will need a tool to extract the xml files if you want it in a module and that tool isn't publicly available as yet.

This assumes that you can extract the files and add the images into FG in the first place.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The export from the other platform is a zip file full of PNG and JPG files. They have nice descriptive names from this artist like "132297-cave_dead_end_10_north_4x3.jpg" for a cave tile that is 4x3 squares. Or "132269-bones_2_2x1.png" for a set of bones to overlay in an area of the cave you are building.

Each tile is based on a 140x140 pixel per square sizing.

I would imagine the only issue I will have is sizing them to the FGU "default" and then placing them in folders to make sense. I can use a file name script to move the files into folders. I just haven't spent much time creating assets for FGU and don't see anyone doing this same thing. So I asked

After I am able to create usable maps I will tackle adding the LoS.

Blog Entries
    Doug created a video recently on adding LOS to tiles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaFvDapOlL4

Internally, a tool is used to extract the LOS data and write it to XML files for the tiles. In the future, there will probably be a similar tool available, or functionality built into FGU. Discussion about the tool and the data that is extracted begins around the 41 min mark. The part that is not shown is the data that is extracted. If you watch the video and would still like to attempt this by hand, this is the format for the extracted data:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <root>
    	<occluders>
    		<occluder>
    			<id>1</id>
    			<points>3.9,51.7,15.5,57.9,19.1,71.5,15.5,91.5,2.7,97.9,-8.2,97.9,-20,81.5,-18,63.3,-9.1,51.7</points>
    			<terrain>true</terrain>
    			<close>true</close>
    			<closedpolygon>true</closedpolygon>
    		</occluder>
    	</occluders>
    </root>
    This is not actively supported for the end-user, right now. So, caveat emptor, and all that. If you want to give it a go, try ONE tile to make sure you are following the process and to get an idea of how much labor is involved.

Just wanted to add and editorial note. I got angry at my previous platform and switched to FG without regard to how much I had purchased over there. For instance over 20 tile sets and several game system books.
    Not everyone can be so cavalier about spent moneys. Some people will hesitate and reconsider if they feel they need to double buy. Luckily, FG game books are more affordable, and the tile sets are your property and can be exported from the other platform.
    I would like to see a process that is easy to do and encourage more people to migrate to FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    Just wanted to add and editorial note. I got angry at my previous platform and switched to FG without regard to how much I had purchased over there. For instance over 20 tile sets and several game system books.
    Not everyone can be so cavalier about spent moneys. Some people will hesitate and reconsider if they feel they need to double buy.
    Note that for most systems you don't HAVE to purchase books at all. So if money is tight, it is possible right now to port paper or other materials into FGU without spending money again. There are a few exceptions to this, like Savage Worlds and Rolemaster... but by and large you can play most RPG systems in FG without spending additional money on licensed content if you enter your own powers and spells and items and NPC's... and you'd be using the same tools that module developers use in order to prepare official modules (with a few exceptions like the tile-based LoS thing that isn't yet polished for use by the general public).

It's also possible to use FGU with the CoreRPG and MoreCore rulesets as just a battlemap and a dice-roller, again not spending money on licensed content. You lose out on a lot of automation in fancy rulesets like D&D 5e, but it compares well to using Discord with a dice-roller bot or something.

Entering all the data you need to play a D&D 5e campaign IS A TON OF WORK!!! It also requires learning quite a bit about the technical aspects of entering data into FG. Purchasing the licensed materials makes it a lot simpler and easier, and I strongly recommend getting the licensed materials... but FG does already provide you with the choice to buy licensed materials or enter your own data (whether it's homebrew or duplicating official stuff from another copy that you own).

I think you are probably preaching to the choir in this forum. We are all already believers
    But, yes, everything you say is true.

I have made several maps from my converted tile sets. Here's some quick notes. I think a video might work better, but I'm just not a YouToober

My first goal was to get these tiles into the FGU map system to create a usable map. You can then add LoS to the resulting map. I'm not tackling adding LoS to each tile piece at this time.
    1. I use a free utility called XnViewMP to resize the images. It works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
    2. Select Tools->Batch Convert.
    3. Add the source directory where you unzipped your tile set.
    4. Add an action Image->Resize and change width/height to 71.42% after selecting "percent" drop-down.
    5. Create an output directory with a different name. For instance I just made it the tileset name with "_fgu" after it and changed the filename output to "{filename}"
    6. Hit the convert button and place the folder under <FGU data directory>/images
    7. Create a new map and in your Assets select Images and the bag named Data has these tiles in it.
    8. Do not resize or scroll-wheel until you set the grid size to 100x100 or the tiles will be different scales and no longer snap together correctly.
    9. Use the grid moving tool to align the first tile and the rest fall in line as you add them and move them around.

This was pretty easy to get these tile sets working. There are several things that would make this better, like renaming the files to remove the meaningless numbers at the beginning.
    I'm sure I've missed some tricks due to my lack of knowledge and experience with the FGU map tool. If you do this and find a better way, please let us all know.
    Last edited by pico; March 29th, 2020 at 16:25. Reason: correct bad wording

Thread Information