Starfinder Playlist
Page 8 of 30 First ... 67891018 ... Last

Thread: Updater Issues

Performance for downloading and checking of items has increased significantly with updater tonight. Great job, devs!

Agreed, I feel like the updating process is cruising along faster than it ever did on FGC.

I have spent quite some time editing a map by building walls, doors, and terrain and I don't want to lose all of that work. How can I save that work as I uninstall and reinstall FGU to fix this problem we are experiencing with incompatible versions?

[I'm on Win 10 Pro 64 bit] EVERYTIME I launch FGU as a NON ADMIN user, the Check For Updates button is highlighted in red, and until I push it (and check for updates) my campaigns do not show in the select campaign list.
    ("Everytime" means literally everytime, even if I launched two minutes before)

I don't have this issue if I launch FGU as an Administrator: it works normally (the button isn't red everytime).

I already uninstalled Fantasy Ground Unity. Deleted all the folders (including data folder). Downloaded and installed latest versions. Updater shows v4.0.0 (2020-03-31). Same problem. (I tried the uninstalling/installing both with Admin and Non Admin user).

Attached is the Player.log, but I didn't find it in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks\FG UpdaterEngine\Player.log
    I found in ...AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\Player.log
    Not shure if its the same.

Thankyou
    Attached Files Attached Files

@JediSwet74,
    The uninstall should not affect the FGU data folder (unless the app folder and data folder are exactly the same). You can always make a copy of your existing FGU data folder; then copy back over the campaigns folder, and any custom images/tokens, after re-install.

@alessandro,
    I'll forward your situation to our updater developer, Ryan, to see what he can suggest.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thanks for the response. I am on a Mac, so could you please tell me what would constitute the entire FGU data folder on a Mac and I’ll make a copy of that before the re-installation process. Thanks in advance.

Your data folder is in your user account main folder, in a folder called Smiteworks. (At least that's where mine is.)

This is in contrast to the application folder, which is in the applications folder, in a completely separate folder also (inexplicably) called Smiteworks.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSwet74 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I am on a Mac, so could you please tell me what would constitute the entire FGU data folder on a Mac and I’ll make a copy of that before the re-installation process. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    You can always find the FG Data folder on any platform by clicking the folder icon on the FG launch screen.

The data and application are stored in separate locations intentionally. The Data folder is something users will commonly go into to add community extensions, modules purchased from the DMsGuild, or to add image and tokens assets. Also the FG Data folder should be backed up.

The FG applications folder is something you should not have to go into. You do not need to (normally) backup. You should not be altering files in it. In 5 years of using FG I have never gone into the applications folder more than once or twice, but I go into the Data folder almost daily.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I was blocked by my ISP recently and had no issue prior. It might be this;
    I don't know if this will fix anyone's connection issues, but, Cox, Xfinity, Comcast, Charter, and Spectrum, along with AT&T have gone to an advanced security system that supposedly protects your IP address from flooding that comes from DDOS cyber attacks. This protection scheme often thinks that the incoming connections are attacks, and it blocks the players from connecting to your table. I always had port forwarding working, and then all the sudden, it stopped. I read an article in the FG forums, by chance and luck. I spent a couple days redoing things prior to reading the information I stumbled across. I had to actually go to my personal account settings within Comcast's website and disable my advanced protection settings. Comcast never informed me of this newer protection system. As soon as I turned that off, back to normal. However, every 30 days I have to go in an repeat the process, as it resets with each new billing cycle. The settings might be called something slightly different by your provider, but it's a flood control. You will need to know what it's referred to as on your account portal, by mine was entitled Advanced Security. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important
    https://internet.xfinity.com/more/my...ices-disabling

This has ALSO stopped me from being able to update via FGU, and at that point, I thought it was the new Networking server, but it turns out it was on my internet provider. I was being blocked from my provider, Comcast too. So, with this and the all the newness , I think this is becoming the perfect store for confusion and delay.

https://internet.xfinity.com/more/he...anced-security
    Last edited by Laerun; April 4th, 2020 at 22:38.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by alessandro View Post
    [I'm on Win 10 Pro 64 bit] EVERYTIME I launch FGU as a NON ADMIN user, the Check For Updates button is highlighted in red, and until I push it (and check for updates) my campaigns do not show in the select campaign list.
    ("Everytime" means literally everytime, even if I launched two minutes before)

I don't have this issue if I launch FGU as an Administrator: it works normally (the button isn't red everytime).

I already uninstalled Fantasy Ground Unity. Deleted all the folders (including data folder). Downloaded and installed latest versions. Updater shows v4.0.0 (2020-03-31). Same problem. (I tried the uninstalling/installing both with Admin and Non Admin user).

Attached is the Player.log, but I didn't find it in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks\FG UpdaterEngine\Player.log
    I found in ...AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\Player.log
    Not shure if its the same.

Thankyou
    Ok, here's what's happening.
    By default, FGU installs on mac to /Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/ which is a location only manageable by an admin.

User Data is, by default stored to ~/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds
    ~ indicates that it's the currently logged-in user's home directory.

So if you log in as two different users, they will each have their own copy of the data folder

/Users/[adminUsername]/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds
    /Users/[nonAdminUsername]/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds

To compound this, the settings files are also stored on a per-user basis
    /Users/[adminUsername]/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    /USers/[nonAdminUsername]/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf

The main trouble here is that the updater needs to be able to update itself and Fantasy Grounds during the update process, and since files are stored to /Applications/... the program needs admin access to operate.

Of course, since the updates are going to the home directory of the currently logged-in user, all of the content will be, in this case, updated to the admin user's home directory.

I've got a task to add an option to install FG on a per-user basis rather than for all users, but for the time being, my best recommendations are to run fantasy grounds on an admin user's account.
    If this is not possible, or not desireable, Fantasy Grounds can be launched on a non-admin user's account and update properly if launched from a command line process with admin elevation

Terminal:
    sudo open /Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy\ Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.app

Barring these options, You could try
    1: On an Admin account, open settings > advanced settings, and change the App Directory to something like
    /Users/[nonAdminUsername]/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds
    2: Close Updater/settings program
    3: Move /Applications/SmiteWorks to /Users/[nonAdminUsername]/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds
    4: If your campaigns are in the admin user's home folder:
    4a: Copy /Users/[adminUsername]/Applications/SmiteWorks to /Users/[nonAdminUsername]/SmiteWorks
    5: Log out of admin user, log into non-admin user
    6: Open Fantasy Grounds from non-admin's home folder (~/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy\ Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app
    7: If all goes well, your settings should now be pointing at the non-admin user's data

Note: With this step, there is still a static located configuration file that FGU uses for app location
    /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    This is where the App directory setting is, so it requires permission if you every want to change location again.

Long story short, at the moment, FGU is designed to be run on an admin account, and can only update with admin permissions.
    The best option if you are not running on an admin account, is to launch Fantasy Grounds or the Updater as admin using the terminal, as that should allow you to update.

Thread Information