Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 30 First 123412 ... Last

Thread: Updater Issues

I just checked for updates this morning. The updater updated itself, then went to check all the files. No time outs during update and it checked files fast with little to no pauses so updater seems back to normal for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus219 View Post
    No time outs during update and it checked files fast with little to no pauses so updater seems back to normal for me!
    But North America is mostly asleep...

Still, I hope that the improvement remains when they wake up.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Knowing what build you should have is a useful troubleshooting tool. Especially when the last word on the latest build announcement is "this isn't compatible with earlier versions," you really want to know whether you have the new version or not. Right now a lot of people are downloading someone's (2020-03-24) build from Google Drive. If my (2020-03-26) build won't play with that (and my best guess is that it won't), I think a lot of frustration and running in circles is likely if people don't know what version their installer should be giving them.

(I was stalled at (2020-03-20), so perhaps people who obtain the (2020-03-24) build won't have the same broken-updater issue I had. I can say that knowing that (2020-03-20) wasn't the current build anymore would have helped me troubleshoot my broken updater and saved the server a bit of load from my updater's halting and repeated-over-days attempts to update things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You cannot see the build until you have actually installed; so for those having issues installing for the first time and not getting past the installer it will always just be v4.0.0. For those already installed and are having an issue updating then the version you have will be shown as v4.0.0 (date).
    Last edited by tcdo; March 28th, 2020 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by tcdo View Post
    Knowing what build you should have is a useful troubleshooting tool. Especially when the last word on the latest build announcement is "this isn't compatible with earlier versions," you really want to know whether you have the new version or not. Right now a lot of people are downloading someone's (2020-03-24) build from Google Drive. If my (2020-03-26) build won't play with that (and my best guess is that it won't), I think a lot of frustration and running in circles is likely if people don't know what version their installer should be giving them.

(I was stalled at (2020-03-20), so perhaps people who obtain the (2020-03-24) build won't have the same stalling issue. I can say that knowing that (2020-03-20) wasn't the current build anymore would have saved me some time attempting to run a broken updater and saved the server a bit of load from my updater's halting attempts to update things.)
    Yeah I am wondering about that version date thing. After I use the 2020-03-24 webinstaller (note it is not my build but a download from FG site of 2020-03-24) and it updates correctly FG will still give a build date of 2020-03-26 once launched (yesterday at least). So that date people are talking about seems to be the build date of FGU application. NOT any build number of the webinstaller itself.

Maybe it would be usefull if the webinstaller has somkind of build identifier aswell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Azraghul View Post
    I reinstalled with the new update, and I am getting this version

https://imgur.com/a/eeZD8CX

Is this the correct one? It is the very same that I had before reinstalling with the new update. So I am a little bit confused
    Mine is also showing that version after a clean install.
    Exactly what is or is not working right now?

Yesterday's report:

After reinstalling windows and everything on a new SSD drive yesterday, I experienced the same issues all of yesterday.

After downloading the FGU web installer and running it. The updater would start downloading something, then instead of continuing and finishing that download it would timeout.
    It would then try something else and return to the cancelled download later.

Some things would download, but larger items like the Fantasy Grounds exe, Savage Worlds, Vortex Games etc. would often start, get a few megabytes then the bar would move to show it complete, but the message would say there was a timeout.

This went on for hours yesterday (EU time from day into the night) and it never completed.

Today's report, the good news:

I tried again today. Running the updater from the fresh install yesterday behaved similarly today as before, timeouts into an endless loop of uncompleted downloads.
    However, after removing the files that came with the web installer from yesterday. Then downloading the newest one today and installing again.

This time the updater worked like a charm, and I have everything updated, FGU up and running again, and the lobby visible after running FGU once.

ps. The first time I opened up FGU before starting a campaign, the lobby wouldn't update and I got an error message saying as much. Don't know if it was a lobby server reboot taking place at that precise time or if I needed to open up a campaign once before it would actually show.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; March 28th, 2020 at 14:20.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

I updated this morning. Slow transfer speeds but no issues.
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Just wanted to let you guys know that as a first time installer (new machine), the new installer seems to be working much better and appears to be getting through all the files.

Thank you,

Thread Information