FG Spreadshirt Swag

Chat dialogue box

Hi,

I was testing earlier and noticed that if you have a multi line message that you are typing in the "Chat" dialogue box that there is no way to go quickly through it by using the either the mouse or the cursor, as the up arrow does not work. I am unsure if this is the intended approach or present in FGC, but it does make editing any changes or deleting a rather odious event as you cannot highlight multiple lines, like you would when editing a story or using any other text box (such as this forum entry).

FYI, I tested in both the SWADE and 4e playset.

Has anyone experienced similar to my experience above? Is this standard for FGC?

I've filed as a task for us to investigate on FGU to see if this is something we want to change or not.

The up and down arrows are used to cycle through previous chat commands you've already sent. (Try typing in a few chat messages, then use up arrow, ...) So, up and down arrow are overriden for another use in the chat entry text control.

I've verified that I can select text over multiple lines, just not with the up/down arrows. I just use left/right arrow with Shift key and sometimes Control key to skip by word.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the answer @Moon Wizard. Seems to me the up/down makes sense if you haven't typed something in there (I confirm that works fine), but at the point you are typing in there it should change to be able to better handle the text that you are writing, since at that point you can't just grab the item above.

Quote Originally Posted by wyndhydra View Post
    Seems to me the up/down makes sense if you haven't typed something in there (I confirm that works fine), but at the point you are typing in there it should change to be able to better handle the text that you are writing, since at that point you can't just grab the item above.
    I've never seen a text input system that works this way and it seems confusing to me. Why would anyone expect to invisibly enter a different editor mode when you start typing, such that the up/down arrows to start behaving differently than they did a second ago? Perhaps adding "standard" shortcuts to navigate text inspired by popular and beginner friendly editor systems like Visual Studio Code. Ctrl-foo shortcuts to move to the beginning of the line, to move to the end of the line, and to move forward or backward one word. Ctrl-up and Ctrl-down can move the cursor up and down a line.

Thread Information