DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

SWADE ruleset but SWDEX Experience

Hi there,

I have been playing SWADE for a bit now and we still use the old XP system from SW Deluxe...how would I go about adding something like that to SWADE in FGU? If I were to get the SWDEX version, would I be able to mix & match somehow?

Thanks!

What I do is have a Story entry with a table. It has the session date, advance number, and a note on what happened that session. I have the Story shared with the players so they can see it. You can do the same by just adding a column with XP amount.

The above presumes you keep the PCs together at the same XP. If not, you would need a different table to track XP by PC.

I prefer the above (a public table of info) as some players pay attend to XP/advances more than others.

Otherwise the Players can track XP in the character notes section.

Ah, very cool, thanks for the tip! I guess I am just jealous of the sweet functionality of the 5e ruleset with all the XP parcels and whatnot ;-)

Blog Entries
    SWD does have XP for advances so using that ruleset will work.

SWADE eliminated XP for advancement, therefore the ruleset did as well. You'd need to code an extension to add it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    SWD does have XP for advances so using that ruleset will work.

SWADE eliminated XP for advancement, therefore the ruleset did as well. You'd need to code an extension to add it back in.
    Could you please give some idea as to the effort that'd be required to do that? I ask, because despite running SWADE for the past year, I sill use XP points for advancement. I do that for the simple reason that it's possible through average-XP-per-session tweaking, to have campaigns with weekly sessions than run for more than a year. SW was designed to have players at the final advancement in the Legendary rank within a year of weekly playing - the new advancement after 3 session achieves roughly the same duration. However, I have some players that like hexcrawling across a world and enjoy thoroughly exploring a location. For them, a campaign isn't worthwhile unless it runs weekly for at least 1-1/2 years if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Could you please give some idea as to the effort that'd be required to do that? I ask, because despite running SWADE for the past year, I sill use XP points for advancement. I do that for the simple reason that it's possible through average-XP-per-session tweaking, to have campaigns with weekly sessions than run for more than a year. SW was designed to have players at the final advancement in the Legendary rank within a year of weekly playing - the new advancement after 3 session achieves roughly the same duration. However, I have some players that like hexcrawling across a world and enjoy thoroughly exploring a location. For them, a campaign isn't worthwhile unless it runs weekly for at least 1-1/2 years if not more.
    I'm not clear on what value you see from continuing to use XP. If the party would average an advance every 3rd session using XP in SWD, granting an advance every 3rd session in SWADE is exactly the same. Tracking XP is just more book keeping for no apparent gain. There is no difference between a character with 11 XP and one with 14. Since I had already long since stopped penalizing players for being absent (because life has a way of interfering with gaming the older you get) or awarding differing amounts of XP for other reasons such that all PCs always advanced together anyway, I had moved away from awarding XP every session to milestone based advancement even in SWD. So SWADE just changed to what I was already doing anyway. Pacing a campaign's duration isn't any more difficult with the new system, so I'm really curious what function you think they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    I'm not clear on what value you see from continuing to use XP. If the party would average an advance every 3rd session using XP in SWD, granting an advance every 3rd session in SWADE is exactly the same.
    Well the difference is that you can give an XP reward of 1 every other session or most sessions and 2 for the other sessions - I don't strictly follow the reward definitions in SWD. That will result in players acquiring an advancement every 4th or 5th session. Which at that rate will allow weekly played campaigns to run for more than a year before players reach the last advancement in Legendary rank. The group of players I have that prefer that style of hex crawl, want more of a challenge and a slower pace of PC advancement. I also grant the XP to those players that have to miss a session due to obligations.

It's certainly not for every group and for my other campaigns I typically award advancements every 2nd or 3rd session and have at times used milestones. I always write my own adventures though, so sometimes needing to focus on milestones is more bother than it's worth.

Well the difference is that you can give an XP reward of 1 every other session or most sessions and 2 for the other sessions - I don't strictly follow the reward definitions in SWD. That will result in players acquiring an advancement every 4th or 5th session. Which at that rate will allow weekly played campaigns to run for more than a year before players reach the last advancement in Legendary rank. The group of players I have that prefer that style of hex crawl, want more of a challenge and a slower pace of PC advancement. I also grant the XP to those players that have to miss a session due to obligations.

It's certainly not for every group and for my other campaigns I typically award advancements every 2nd or 3rd session and have at times used milestones. I always write my own adventures though, so sometimes needing to focus on milestones is more bother than it's worth.
    I am not sure how that is different then having the players level up when you hit a milestone or when you want them to, which I how I do it.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I'd quite like to be able to use deluxe style xp in swade. I liked giving individual exp. It is just easier to track with an xp counter.
    One of the few changes I am not much for in SWADE
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Again, I don't see how this is different from just deciding to award an advance every 4th or 5th session if that's the pace of the campaign you are aiming for.

Thread Information